• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Winter Brewing

timcadieux

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I normally brew 6g brews with a Cajun Injector but with Winter coming along, I'll have to put that on hold. I currently have a 4g stock pot that I'd like to put to good use.

What I do with my CI is I use a Bag, I drain the CI, then Sparge and return the wort. Essetnially the same system as having a seperate Tun. I thought I could do the same with 3.5g recipes using my 4g pot.

I tried creating a new Equipment Profile for my 4G but Beersmith isn;t quite giving me the numbers I expected. Here's the setup I treid to enter.

Efficiency : 80%

Mash Tun Vol: 4G (total volume of my Pot right?)

Mash Tun Weight: 4lb (a guess but I'll update tonight)

Tun Specific Heat: 0.30

DeadSpace: 0

Adjust mas ol for deadspace : checked

Kettle Top Up: 0

Calculate Boil Volume automatically: Checked(first problem, when I do this, it tells me that the next field Boil Volumen is 4.4g which is bigger than my pot?)

Boil Volume: 3.75 (4.4 if Calculate Automatically is checked on)

Boil time: 60

Boil off: 0.50

Use boil as houraly rate: checked

Post boil volume: 3.25

Shrinkage: 4.0%

cooling Loss: 0.13

Hop Util;: 100%

Trub Loss: 0 (dunno what to put here)

Top Up Water: 0 (dunno what to put here)

Batch Volume: 3.5g (that's what I want it the end right?)

Fermenter Loss: 0 (dunno what to put here)

Bottling Volume: 3.25g (lower than what i want which is 3.5)

Any help sorting out this profile would be much appreciated.

Also, is there somewhere where I could find a whole list of Equipment Profiles to pick from, my mobile app only has like a dozen,

Thx

I would leave the calc boil vol checked as this will total up your boil off, cooling and trub losses to compensate for them.  If you are brewing 3.5 gallons then 4.4 into the boiler seems very reasonable.  Your brewhouse efficiency (80%) sounds high - I would expect something closer to 70% using all losses in the system.

There is a video to help set up equipment for the desktop version here - but the fields on the mobile version are the same:
  http://beersmith.com/video

Brad

Back