• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparging with a Mash Out

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am interested in batch sparging and performing a mash out as a final step.  Is there a way to set Beersmith up that will calculate the temperature of the mashout water and volumes?

What happens if you choose the mash profile "Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge" ?

I don't batch, but isn't a fill-n-drain, then fill-n-drain again batch process essentially "mashing out" with 50% of what you plan to collect? 

You mash with XX water, then fill it up, hoping to hit 168F, and then drain.  And then totally refill from scratch, again trying to hit 168F? 

You could batch a really big mash out. 

grathan - I have been using that same mash profile for many years.  My efficiency was seldom in the 70's.  I had a friend over last week and he added a mashout as a last minute option to the brew day and it worked really well.

Thanks for the response.

MaltLicker said:
I don't batch, but isn't a fill-n-drain, then fill-n-drain again batch process essentially "mashing out" with 50% of what you plan to collect? 

You mash with XX water, then fill it up, hoping to hit 168F, and then drain.  And then totally refill from scratch, again trying to hit 168F? 

You could batch a really big mash out.

Yes, MaltLicker that is the way I have been batch sparging for years.  And that is how Beersmith is set up.  It works, but I am wondering if a hybrid might allow for greater efficiency.  As I mentioned to grathan,

Rep said:
grathan - I have been using that same mash profile for many years.  My efficiency was seldom in the 70's.  I had a friend over last week and he added a mashout as a last minute option to the brew day and it worked really well....

I changed my process on the advice of my friend and did find better results.  This is what we did. 

Added strike water and mashed in.
Rather than drain that initial strike completely we lowered the level of the wort to just above the grain bed and the bed solidified.  And now we took a page from fly sparging.  We added the second infusion slowly, just as the mash tun was being slowly drained.  This step raised the mash bed to 168F.  An efficiency of 77% was obtained.  I have never reached that level before.

So, in my OP I ask if there is a way for Beersmith to be set up allowing this kind of a mash schedule.  I would like BS to calculate the temperature I need for my second, slower infusion based on the original mash temp already in the tun.

The volume is not that important as I would cease sparging when I had the necessary volume in the boil kettle anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Connecting the dots, it now sounds more like fly.  Mash at a certain temp, then flood/mash out to reach 168F, and then slowly drain, refilling with 168F at the top of the MLT? 

If you have both the headspace in the MLT to add enough water to hit 168F, and can also drizzle the replacement hot water into the MLT, aka fly, then is that what you're now doing? 

I suspect it is the slow, constant rinsing that makes fly slightly more efficient, and that's sounds like the part you've added. 

MaltLicker said:
Connecting the dots, it now sounds more like fly.  Mash at a certain temp, then flood/mash out to reach 168F, and then slowly drain, refilling with 168F at the top of the MLT? 

If you have both the headspace in the MLT to add enough water to hit 168F, and can also drizzle the replacement hot water into the MLT, aka fly, then is that what you're now doing? 

I suspect it is the slow, constant rinsing that makes fly slightly more efficient, and that's sounds like the part you've added.

Yes, that is exactly what I want.  Now this is what I would like BS to do. 

I just mashed for an hour and my 36.01 grain bed sits at 152F.  I added 46.77 quarts of water at 165.6F to the grain to get there.

I would like BS to tell me that I need to add XX.X gallons of water at YYY F to bring that grain bed up to 168F.  The draining of that second, long, slow infusion will take me to 21.12 gallons of wort in the brew kettle.

grathan said:
What about the Mash Adjust Tool ?

So, how is it I draw a big, big smiley with a bit of red color on the cheeks?

I was over thinking this.  I wanted this data printed out on my brewsheet.  Yet, I knew it would only be accurate if I hit and held my mash temps until I was ready to sparge.  But I like my brewsheet in my brewing area as my desktop is too far away.

Enter a big, big smiley with red cheeks, again!

So I have this I-Phone thing and a couple of weeks ago I added the BeerSmith Mobile app.  Have I used it?  Not yet.  Have I really looked at it?  Well, no.

So now this all turns into a promotion for BeerSmith Mobile.  Don't need my brewsheet as long as I take my phone to my brew shed.

Thanks for pointing this out to me grathan. 

Check      dennybrew.com

I use Denny's method to adjust BeerSmith's division of the mash and sparge water. I dump the sparge water into the drained mash tun and stir a bit, then recirculate to clear - I use a pump because I'm lazy, but a pitcher will work just as well. I got 89% efficiency yesterday.

A good crush (Monster 3 set at 0.030 inches) and good pH control also helped, I'm sure.

durrettd said:
Check      dennybrew.com

I use Denny's method to adjust BeerSmith's division of the mash and sparge water. I dump the sparge water into the drained mash tun and stir a bit, then recirculate to clear - I use a pump because I'm lazy, but a pitcher will work just as well. I got 89% efficiency yesterday.

A good crush (Monster 3 set at 0.030 inches) and good pH control also helped, I'm sure.

Thanks durrettd

I actually have been using Denny's methods for years and years.  I have experimented with all kinds of temperatures for the sparge water as well as the crush adjustments of my Barley Mill.  I am going to add the near boiling sparge  water slowly to the top of my grain bed as the cooler is slowly drained.

Back