• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pitching Rates

brundage

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm evaluating BeerSmith in my brewery.  Pitching rates and cell counts are important here and it looks like I can only choose three rates (ale, lager, hybrid). Is there a way to change the pitching rate per recipe?

I do not know of one.

BS2 also uses a different math model for yeast viability, so if cell count or being able to match up to other yeast calcs out there is critical, Bs2 may not be the best option for you. 

In my 15bbl brewery, we have created a profile called "House Ale I" and again for lager, with alternates being given additional Roman numerals. That makes it easy to find in creating recipes.

We've given up on BeerSmith calculating cells, since we harvest slurry and repitch. We give a new pitch an inventory count of how many repitches we expect and divide the purchase cost across that count. We consider 1 "package" to be the full batch pitching rate (8 to 15 gallons of slurry) and assign a cell count of 40,000 billion.

We're not worried about what BeerSmith says about yeast cells by age, since every pitch has been cultured up in a previous batch and spent yeast has been dropped.

Back