• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

cooling loss w/ plate chiller?

inda_Bebe

New Forum Member
Reaction score
im always trying to tweek my equipment profile. is there cooling loss when using a plate chiller?

Not sure what you mean by cooling loss.  I use a plate chiller and would generally say I lose no more than a few ounces.  That seems pretty minimal to me.

I think cooling loss is strictly a percentage of "shrinkage" of the final wort volume after boiling, as it changes from 212F hot to 65F cold, and the specific means used to get the wort cold do not matter. 

If you let it sit overnight, it would still shrink by X%. 

I agree with ML on this, just stick your chiller loss in the Trub Loss. I just up my batch size a little so that I don't have to get the last drop out of my boil pot. That last quart you draw of the boil is where you will get the most trub into your chiller, even if you have a nice trub pile, its that last dash of wort to the outlet that you can avoid. I use a HopRocket filled with polyester to catch the trub, but the cold break protein still tags along with the wort, since the chilling is internal to the plate chiller. The plate chiller is the toughest piece of brewing equipment to master in my opinion.

If you are fortunate to have a boil pot with a liquid level tube on the outside, you would quickly understand how heat/ cooling  effects volume.

Back