• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile Help - 40L Mash Tun/Boil Kettle Combo

Mangy17

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I have a 40L/9.5gal combination mash tun/boil kettle. It also has a small screen and spigot. This equipment is not available to be selected on the software. I'd appreciate any help as I feel completely lost. I've gotten by so far with choosing a similar recipe, and leaving the default "Formulator AG" as is.

Thank you!

You will need to modify one of the equipment profiles to fit your particular set-up.  For a 40L MT/BK combo, I would suggest selecting the profile which most nearly fits the size of your kettle, copy and paste it as a new profile.  Rename it so that it is unique to your set-up.  Then go into the profile and modify the settings to best replicate what you have to work with.  You may need to do a "dry run" so to speak with hot water and measuring temperatures to get the specific heat, dead space, trub and chiller losses dialed in to fit what you have. 

When I have modified equipment profiles in the past (three times so far), I followed up with taking careful measurements of temperatures, volumes and specific gravity through all steps of the brewing process to further optimize the profiles (both equipment and mash) for the new set-up.  Once done, the software replicates what I actually get during my brew sessions pretty well.

Adjusting your equipment profile isn't rocket science, but BeerSmitj has a lot of moving parts. It helps to get some advice to be sure you don't overlook some of the little details. Read    http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html

Ok guys, thanks a lot!

I've certainly enjoyed BeerSmith so far but would like to get more out of it. I appreciate the advice.

Happy Brewing!

James

Back