• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ingredient Pricing aka cost replied to but not aswered

dlw

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Now that I have wasted an hour reading all 49 pages of post, only to not find an answer. Is the only way to update ingredient cost one at a time in the ingredient screen? I have tried entering the correct cost in all my recipes but that does nothing to the database, also if I click on update cost in a recipe it reverts back to the very outdated price of $1.20 lb(ARG). Isn't there a file some where that I can edit the cost for all grains? or a cost import feature that I have not found yet.

Thanks for the reply's but I already knew that. I don't want to update 1 ingredient at a time. BTW its easyer to just single click on the set price button in the ingredient list, but this is very tedious. It would be alot faster and easyer if there was a cst file(comma seperated text) or something like that associated with grains, hops, yeast and misc. to update pricing. No looking up every grain, every hop, every yeast so so forth. No 5 click's to update 1 price.

Each recipe is self-contained, which is to say it grabs the ingredient, equipment, mash and fermentation profile and fixes it within a recipe.  To make a global change in ingredient price, you need to update the ingredient database.  If you wanted to update the price of a grain, for instance, you click on the ingredient tab, click on the grain icon to access the full listing of grains.  Then scroll down to the grain you want to update and double click on that grain.  This will open up a dialog box with the grain profile.  You can then enter the new price of the grain and click 'OK' to save it.

Then when you open an older recipe, when you click on update prices, the new price will be reflected in the recipe.

This might not be the proper place to point this out, but the default price on 'add grain' is $24 per pound. Be nice to just use a realistic average price to get a rough idea on costs and not some astronomical value if this value doesn't get set.

+1 to every default being realistic and current.  Is it possible that with each BS2 update that a recent pricing update could be done against a major e-tailer such as Northern Brewer? 

They must have a file they use to update prices online, or at least an export function where they could output every item with current price.  Then figure out a way to update a BS2 pricing file and include with each update? 

Some work on the front end to develop it, but each iteration would be an update query in a database. 

Or perhaps users could upload current prices from online vendors to a cloud databse and beersmith could spit out which retailer has the best price on your recipe.

The first brewing software to have real-time live pricing that allows users to "price shop" online retailers will have a HUGE competitive advantage, I would think. 

Isn't that what XML was designed to do?  And it should include "bundling" so I have my next recipes, and three local friends have their recipes, and we should be able to bundle them up to share shipping, and possibly even get bulk discounts on common grains. 

Good one. Importing, exporting and combining of shopping lists that can compare pricing to a user generated price comparison database.

grathan said:
............can compare pricing to a user generated price comparison database.

That's one way, but I'd be concerned with bad data/old data/missing data.  I would think Brad and the owners of NB, Midwest, etc., would want to figure this out to drive loyalty to their software/stores.  There are lots of each, but if all your recipes are in XX software and you get accurate, live pricing from YY store, and maybe even "software club loyalty points" by using that specific combo, a strategic alliance could lock up a portion of the mail-order business. 

I really miss the flat-rate shipping of $8 they did for a while.  Give that to me for using your groovy connected pricing gadget 100% of the time.  Loyalty = rewards.

Back