• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need 6.5 Gallon Boil For 5 Gallons

januismer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Okay... I do full boils in my keggle.  What I consider a moderate rolling boil in my keggle typically boils off 1.5 gallons per hour.  I know that one gallon per hour is typical, but that is what I'm getting, so I do a 6.5 Gallon boil.

How do I adjust BeerSmith to accommodate the extra water without lower my overall OG.  Obviously, I need to add more grains/sugars to make up for this additional needed water, but how do I do this accurately with BeerSmith?

Thanks!

In your Equipment Profile.  Start on the right side with what you want to finish with, and work up that right-side column and then to the bottom-left, filling in what results you get on your system.  It will add in the other losses that you're not, such as shrinkage to cooling, etc. 

there's a couple good posts here that may be pinned to the top of the section; I don't have them handy, but others refer to them often.

Thanks for the reply MaltLicker!

I'll give the posts a look and give it a shot.

Back