• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aeration Tool Won't Fit in Carboy

jakejs

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought a 'wine wip' tool that attaches to a drill so I could get my cooled wort properly aerated, but! it doesn't fit into the actual carboy lol. I was thinking that once my wort has cooled to pitching temperature and I've removed my wort chiller from my kettle could I then, before transferring my wort into the carboy, use the aeration tool directly in the kettle and then transfer into the carboy? I feel as though this might be a problem because of the open air and the thought that maybe some of the oxygen would be lost in the transfer. Any reason why this wouldn't work or could potentially harm the beer?

I think that's your best bet short of buying an oxygen system.
That or go to buckets!  I use only buckets or a speidel fermenter any more and used something that I think is close to what you have.  I just used a paint mixer that went into the drill and got it into a froth that way.  Always cheaper if you can use something that isn't marketed as a specialty item.
The O2 system is nice though.

A wine whip! P.T. Barnum would say " There is a sucker born every minute"
I guess your whiney whip is cheaper than the book How To Brew by John
Palmer.

Did you ever hear of rocking & swirling your carboy?
Dabbling with open, exposed wort will lead to big problems.
Garage Sale item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whipping O2 into the chilled wort in the kettle will not result in sufficiently oxygenated wort in the fermenter. As soon as you introduce oxygen to the wort, it immediately begins dissipating. By the time your "whipped-wort-in-the-kettle" settles into its new environment (your carboy), most of the O2 introduced in the kettle will have been lost.

Barring an aerating or oxygenating system, or a whip that will fit into your carboy, shaking the heck out of the carboy right before pitching the yeast is your best option here.

Thanks for the responses, definitely answered my questions. I did read 'How to Brew' by Palmer and I've cranked out a bunch of good beer by this point but I wanted to improve the O2 levels before pitching is all. Thanks philm63 for letting me know the O2 would have left the wort before I could get it in the carboy and pitched.

This is the item I  bought just in case anyone was interested:
http://www.amazon.com/NorthernBrewer-The-Stainless-Steel-Mix-Stir/dp/B0064OG79E

Wow!  That thing costs a lot more than a paint mixer and doesn't look like it would move the liquid near as well.

Nice looking device - looks like it could really whip-up some air into that wort, but it appears to be intended for folks who ferment in buckets - many do as they're cheap (the buckets, not the brewers!), easy to clean and sanitize, and often easier to carry or move when compared to a glass carboy.

It's too bad that the arms aren't spring loaded, so that you can close them to insert them through the top of your carboy.

Scott Ickes said:
It's too bad that the arms aren't spring loaded, so that you can close them to insert them through the top of your carboy.

I may be wrong, but I believe they are on hinges. This tool is marketed primarily to the wine maker who needs to degas their wine in a carboy. I had a similar (albeit cheaper) version that I used on both wine and for aeration of wort, but the arms and plastic hinges were its Achilles' heel, and it snapped as I was trying to squeeze it into the mouth of my carboy on my last batch. I already have a SS bubble stone, so I'm thinking I will be switching to Bernzomatic oxygen cans from HD and a regulator with hose barb from williams or NB.

Back