• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

berliner

dannoR

Apprentice
Reaction score
This weekend I want to make a berliner weisse but the closest brew shop (1 1/2 hours away) didn't have the lactobacillus that I needed so I will be trying a experiment that I have been kicking around for a while.  A couple of weeks back we made our yearly 15 gallons of sauerkraut which is cabbage, alittle salt to draw the water out and creat a lactobacllius bacteria brine.  I will be fermenting with yeast in a primary then giving it a shoot of kraut brine in the secondary.  Any comments? 

no one seems to be adventurous enough to respond.    There are a few of us in our brew club that will go out of our way to be over the top.  I tried a wild brew that turned out undrinkable but with with a addition of acidic acid mother made a fine vinegar.  A 5 gallon  batch is cheap and no matter what happens it will not go to waste plus if it makes a nice sour beer I maybe the first to tried it and I will share the recipe with fellow brewers

I've never tried anything that ambitious before, but I think it's awesome that you are making a German beer with "Kraut" extract!

Good luck!

Back