• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calypso hops entry

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I verified inventory today and entered this Calypso hop, using data found online.  No promises it is all correct, but this is offered for addition to future Hop library. 

The lengthy notes are from someone that brewed single hop beers.  that would need to be edited down............

Name: Calypso
Origin: U.S.
Type: Bittering
Form: Pellet

Alpha: 12.80 %
Beta: 5.50 %
Hop Stability Index: 65.00 %
Inventory: 1.00 oz
Notes: some tropical fruit aroma, along with a pungent herbal/earthy scent and a hint of tobacco. I also picked up a very distinct aroma that smells like fresh-picked tomatoes, or more specifically, like the smell of a tomato plant after you just snapped off a ripe tomato.

tropical fruit (similar to coconut), some earthiness, and faint notes of onion/sulfur as well as cocoa butter.

On the palate there is a fleeting grapefruit/citrus flavor, but the main character is herbal/grassy with a resinous bitterness that really seems to cling on. Some earthy and spicy flavors are tucked away in the background as well. I did start to pick up an interesting cocoa flavor after a few sips that seemed to intensify as the beer warmed up a bit.

This had a really tongue-coating resinous bite, so maybe this could work as a bittering hop for an IPA. The cocoa flavor was kind of interesting. I could see this doing well as a late addition in a Robust Porter.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

Attachments

• Calypso.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Hop_Calypso.bsmx
    1.8 KB · Views: 250
Thanks,
  I'll save this for a future hop update.  If you want to post it in BeerSmith format for others to use you can right click on the hop you added, and use Export Selected to save that one hop to a BSMX file to post here.

Brad

Back