• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding simple sugar later in fermentation?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've read that some brewers add the simple sugar to big Belgians a few days after fermentation starts.  Anyone here done that? 

If you were going to do it, how would you get the sugar in the carboy?    When you add sugar to the boil, it's part of the boil volume on brew day.  If you added it later, you'd have to boil it in additional water, correct?  That would add volume to your carboy? 

How concentrated can you make sugar water?  I.e., the least amount of water that would dissolve 2# sugar?

It won't take so much as to change your numbers. You could add so much to make it nearly as viscous as water and have no troubles. I would use a funnel as to not make a mess. You could cut a plastic soda bottle in half if you don't own a funnel.

I did a little research because this made me curious.  Ok, there are graphs you can look up online.  The solubility of sugar is dependent on temperature.  The higher the temp, the more sugar you can get in the solution.  at 70 Degrees you can get 11.2 oz of sugar in 3.5 oz of water.  so doing the math (and fudging the numbers a little, you ought to be able to dissolve 2 lbs of sugar in about 12 oz or so of water.  That seems pretty crazy to me (I'm sure it would be syrup like) but those are the numbers I found a bunch of places (though they were in grams).

I'm assuming you'd boil to sanitize also.

thanks.  that give me something to look for.  A pint or even quart would be OK on five gallons.  As long as I know how much to short the carboy, it's cool. 

MaltLicker said:
A pint or even quart would be OK on five gallons.

I've added sugar to Belgium-type strong beers later in the fermentation to avoid a fermentation stop right in the beginning.
I used to solve sugar in boiling water with a 1.5:1 sugar/water weight ratio without any problems.

Following the research Mtnmangh did, you could double this ratio to 3:1  That's a lot of sugar in a quart (even when this is your max acceptable volume) to boost a five gallons brew Maltlicker!

R, Slurk

Back