• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Vigorous Fermentation - Airlock Full of Wort, but not clogged

K

kkraus

Just checked my 6.5 gallon glass carboy after being away for 4 days and noticed that I had an a VERY active fermentation where the wort/yeast made it into/and out of the top of the airlock replacing the water.  Not too much of a mess other than all over the outside of the carboy.

The airlock doesn't appear to be clogged (bubbling is still occurring), so should I worry about swapping out the airlock before the fermentation stops?  I plan on tranferring to transfer to a secondary anyway and will swap out the airlock then.

Anything I should do now or worry about?

For this active of fermentation you do not need an airlock.  Put some Aluminium foil over the top untill it slows down (Some of the best brewers in the country do this).  Another option is to put a 1.25 Poly hose in the neck of he carboy with the end in a bucket of water or sanitizer.  Still another option is to use "Foam Control", a silicone based food grade anti-foam agent. along with your airlock.

You do not want to chance building up pressure in the carboy.

Thanks for the suggestions.  It does seem like fermentation has settled down to "normal" with active bubbling with no access foaming.  With that said, sounds like I should still remove the wort/yeast filled airlock for either foil, blow off or another airlock - is that accurate?

I would not worry about it as long as you don't get it plugged.  I had one batch where the bubbling plugged up the airlock and actually blew the top off and made quite a mess.  With that active a fermentation your beer is under positive pressure so it is very unlikely you have contaminated it.  Just clean it up and let it ferment out.

Brad

I have heard similar stories about the airlock being plugged - definitely watch out for that.

I would either just clean off the airlock thoroughly and put it back on or go the aluminum route that was suggested by bonjour.

Back