• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HEY BRAD! A LITTLE HELP HERE!?!DEFINING STYLE FROM INGREDIENTS

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Fellow brewers,
I am having a bit of a problem catagorizing my recipes' styles.
I make up my recipes based on what I want to taste, rather than picking a style and brewing from that.
They usually turn out fine, and sometimes really good. But when I enter them into a contest, I never do very well becuase I can't pick the style and their comments are "tastes great, but what is it really?" or some such.
Brad, this is for you! Can you make an app on this great program that will take the ingredients we put into a batch and match it to a style?
With more and more experimenting being done, it would be really helpful to have something like that in our arsonell.
If such a thing exists already...please let me know!
Thanks
BB 8)

Better judges should tell you which category it would do best in.  That would be a challenge to do programmatically, I'd think. 

And sometimes a beer is just a "tweener" and stuck between two styles, like too roasty to be a brown porter, and not bold enough to score well as a robust porter.

Judges are asked to define submissions based on style guides.  If we want to experiment with styles, it is up to us to come up with the guides.

Personally, I would rather Brad spend his time and research upgrading his wonderful platform to perform tasks for us to meet the overall common standards.

Hi,
I've had some requests for this, but I'm not sure how precisely to do it.  There are literally hundreds of variables that go into defining the ingredients for a particular style, and there is no reason why you can't create a great beer recipe that is "in style" but uses none of the traditional ingredients.

I would need some kind of AI or fuzzy logic to match all possible styles with a particular set of ingredients - not easy to do I believe!

Brad

Why not just generate a list of all applicable categories and list them with strongest first? 

grathan said:
Why not just generate a list of all applicable categories and list them with strongest first?

Someone on another brewing forum created a spreadsheet that basically does this, although it does not take ingredients, flavors or carbonation levels into account at all. 

I'm reluctant to post it, as I did not develop it, but here's a brief description:

It's got values for IBU, SRM, OG and FG for each BJCP sub-style.  You enter your beer's values for those parameters, and it performs a lookup to see if your values are in-range/too low/too high for each parameter, for each sub-style.  It then sorts the sub-styles in descending order based on how many "in-range" flags are set.

It's far from perfect, but it does give you at least a starting point to try to figure out the top candidate styles for your beer, based on measurable characteristics (gravity, ABV, color, bitterness). 

It's actually less confusing than I probably made it sound, too. 

Appreciate all the input...Guess I will just brew beer that I like and leave the contests to those that want to go for style. ;)

BILLY BREW said:
Appreciate all the input...Guess I will just brew beer that I like and leave the contests to those that want to go for style. ;)

If YOU like it, who really cares what they think?!?!  I am flattered when others appreciate my beer, but I didn't brew it for them.  I brewed it for ME, to DRINK IT! lol

MM658 Thanks buddy! Great spread sheet! Figured out that my Gingered Ale is actually a Blonde Ale, which is acceptable to contest judges way more than veggie spice beer.
You da man!

Back