• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chiller options

K

KernelCrush

My homemade CFC is beyond its useful life and I need a replacement.  It started as a 50' IC and I wore that out so I gave it a new life as a CFC.  I am trying to decide between Chillus Convolutus (CC)and a Therminator, but not stuck on either.  Seems the Therminator  uses less water.  Blichmanns website gives me the dreaded 'red x' on 3 computers when I go to the 'compare to competition' tab. He really needs to tune up his website...there are a lot of bad links.  The CC tube inner to outer tube ratio concerns me. Can anyone who has used both give me some advice. I don't care about water usage...I am on a well.  My groundwater temp is about 80F except for a month or two.  I already use a sump in 30 gallon ice bath at 5 GPM and a March for wort.

Haven't used either, but would like to hear comments on getting either of those clean after use. 

+1 on sanitation using plate chillers. Being in the automotive diesel business for years I've removed several oil cooler( plate chiller) with debris stuck in them. Just sounds like it's an infection ready to happen

It's not for everyone, takes up some space.  About two issues back Brew Your Own Magazine showed  how to build a counterflow chiller from PCV, copper pipe, compression fittings and silicone tubing. I build one for approx. $80. Cools wort from boil to 80 degrees in 6 minutes. Has all straight pipe easy to clean.

I Absolutely LOVE my Therminator.  I have never had any problem with any infection or any problems with it.  I can cool 5 1/2 gallons from boiling to room temp in about 3-5 mintues depending on how cold or hot it is outside (temp of ground water changes).  It was taking forever to cool with an immersion chiller (about 45 mins to 1.5 hours).  I use hop bags so I have no problem with clogging.  After use I backflush until it runs completely clear, then soak for a while in Iodophor.  I tried the oven method of drying last time and it seemed to work pretty well.  I love it.

ihikeut said:
+1 on sanitation using plate chillers. Being in the automotive diesel business for years I've removed several oil cooler( plate chiller) with debris stuck in them. Just sounds like it's an infection ready to happen

If this were actually the case, there wouldn't be a single commercial beer you could drink.

When cleaned properly and completely, plate chillers are very reliable. Running 160F PBW through them, in both directions will clean the proteins out of it. Then just follow with either starsan or Phosphoric acid for a few minutes and you're done. Some brewers place it in a hot oven for a couple of hours to dry them out.

I just ran Starsan thru the CFC from a bottling bucket using a pump prior to chilling, using the ball valve to hold in the starsan till I was ready to chill.  After the chill was over I boiled up several more gallons of water and pumped that thru the CFC.  Then blew out both lines with compressed air for storage. 

About two issues back Brew Your Own Magazine showed  how to build a counterflow chiller from PCV, copper pipe, compression fittings and silicone tubing. I build one for approx. $80. Cools wort from boil to 80 degrees in 6 minutes. Has all straight pipe easy to clean.

ihikeut,  I remember reading that article now.  What boil volume are you pumping and whats your chill water temp?  Any idea on flow rates? 

I gravity flow  7.5 gals threw it, temp does not change much by the amount of wort run threw the chiller.  Approx tap water for cooling this time of year 75 degrees.  The cooler right now has 20 feet of half inch copper pipe in 4 5' lengths, 1 1/4 PCV. I think 80 degrees is the most cooling I will get from tap water. Thought of adding another separate length with larger PCV and fill it with Ice water, should lower the wort temp further.

I am very happy with my Therminator: easy to use and very efficient. 
The tap water in Oslo Norway is rather cold (especially in the winter) and I can cool 6G from a boil to 70F i about 5 minutes.
Until now I have been lucky with no stuck bazooka. After use I backflush with hot water for 5-7 minutes and soak with Starsan.

Back