• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1026 Cask Ale Yeast

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
On a whim I got some of this yeast since I have a lot of marris otter right now,  I have some free time on Monday to Brew and my only other yeast options was a cider yeast, two Belgian yeasts and an American Wheat yeast.  I don't have enough wheat for the wheat beer and no pils for the belgian beers and I don't want to make a mead so I figure I'm in it for a a british or irish ale of some sort.  My problem, not sure which style to run with.  Anyone ever use this yeast before?  I thought about giving an English IPA a shoot since I've never brewed one of those before and I have two ESB's, one porter, one porter and one brown ale either on tap or waiting, I figure why not do something different? 

thoughts? 

I've used London Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1028) for an English IPA and it scored 40 at a brewing competition and won a blue ribbon.  The 1026 is a very similar yeast.  The comparison is:

London Ale 1028
A rich mineral profile that is bold and crisp with some fruitiness. Often used for higher gravity ales and when a high level of attenuation is desired.
Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11%ABV

1026 Cask Ale Yeast
A great choice for any cask conditioned British Ale. Produces nice malt profile with a hint of fruit. Finishes dry and slightly tart.
Origin: Britain
Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 74-77%
Temperature Range: 63-72F, 17-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

I think it would do spectacularly in an English IPA.  We just had a big brew at my home and I had one 22 ounce bottle of the English IPA left and we shared it in Cognac Snifters and everyone loved it.

I''ll post the recipe for my English IPA in the recipe section, in case you're interested in brewing it.  One the last page is the judges comments on the beer.

I'm actually considering using the 1026 for the next time I make this beer.  I'm also thinking of raising the Mash Temp up about 2-4F to try and get just a little more maltiness out of it.  My goal is to get it up to a 45 score!

In the judges comments, it was noted as a little cloudy, using the 1026 might clear it up, based on the higher flocculation of the 1026.

Scott,

thanks for the reply.  I didn't find your recipe in the recipe board so I went ahead and made a northern English brown, for not other reason than I had all the ingredients and the wyeast website said 1026 is a good yeast to use for a brown.  I am interested in the english IPA recipe though.  A 40/50 and a blue ribbon recipe I'm sure is something most of us would be interested in, especially for a new style that I've never made before. 

thanks

WR

Scott,

thanks, that beer is now in my queue, I'm thinking about pitching the IPA on the yeast cake of the northern brown I made.  May as well get as much out of that yeast as possible and I really like not having to make a starter. 

It will be some time but I'll report back how it came out

thanks again

WR

I'm looking forward to how it turns out.  I hope you like it as much as I and my homebrew club does.

Back