• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation

pellet38

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked many times but could use a little help. Just brewed a 5 gallon batch of all grain American brown ale. I used dry yeast, rehydrated. All seems to have gone well. After about 7 hours bubbling was quite active. 24 hours later bubbling stopped. I am new to brewing and not sure what to expect of fermentation process, how long it should take. when to know when it is complete. I usually use a second fermentation mostly for things to settle out. please help with basic info. Thanks

Sounds like fermentation went well enough.  I would wait a week to ensure it's completely done, and check the gravity.  Let's say it's 1.014.  If you get a second reading of 1.014 a few days later, then you will know for certain that it's done. 

You may still want to let it sit longer to ensure the by-products of such a quick fermentation have been resolved by the yeast.  For a dark ale, secondary is probably not necessary if you let it get fairly clear in primary. 

Thanks Maltlicker. I have remember, relax, enjoy. Have a homebrew.

What was your fermentation temperature.  If it was above 72F, it will ferment out more quickly than if it were at 66-68F.  It will also produce more off flavors and fusel alcohols at the higher fermentation temperatures.  Some of those flavors and the fusel alcohols won't condition out with extended aging in a secondary.

I've found that it's almost always better to ferment a little cooler than intended than be a little higher than intended.  I have a Belgian Strong in the primaries right now that I brewed on Saturday and they are bubbling at a nice steady pace at 66F.  I like strong fermentations, but I don't like fast violent ones.  I don't think I've ever had one done in 7 days though.

What are you fermenting in?  If it's a plastic bucket, it might not be sealed great and is leaking out through the bucket lid seal.  You might be still fermenting, but it isn't going through the airlock anymore.  I've had that happen one time.

not sure of fermentation temp. was in cellar. I will keep track of all temps in the future. Have seen the wide mouth carboy. I will be using that in the future. Like the fact I can dry hop with leaf hops.

Back