• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add the concept of a "brew day"

ccfoo242

Apprentice
Reaction score
I think it would be nice to add a "brew day" feature that does the following:
1) Choose the recipe to brew
2) Make adjustments as problems come up - add DME to fix low gravity, etc
3) Take notes
4) Record ph, gravity, etc.
5) Save all of this in a journal either locally or using your cloud storage.

All of this is possible right now but requires me to make a copy of my original recipe so I don't mess it up.

Actually that is what I do.  I have the main recipe in one folder, then when I brew I copy it to my "Actual Brews" folder.  That way, when I make tweaks because of slight ingreidient shortages or volume or IBU or temparature differences, my actual recipe is reflective of what happened and the original is what I wanted.

The idea of a "brew day" sounds suspiciously like BrewTarget. The BrewTarget system is inflexible, creating and marking a batch for whatever day you add it on. It cannot be changed so far as I can tell.

I'd like to see a "batch control" capability. This would allow the brewer to copy the master recipe to a batch record and allow changes, adjustments and notes, etc., but completely under BeerSmith program control. I'd rather not futz around under the covers and maintain directories BeerSmith doesn't know about.

If I have to create this myself I will, but it would be very simple, and so much nicer, if it were a direct part of BeerSmith.

As Beer_Tigger stated, the function exists.  Just highlight the recipe in your master file and click on 'copy to log'.  The recipe will be copied to the 'Brew Log' folder where it can be customized as needed and notes for that particular brew day can be added and preserved.

Back