• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need some help on mine Inmate Brew

FatPigLittle

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guy as topic and as I am new to brewing. I would like to seek some advice of ways to improve mine skill.
I have actually make 2 inmate brew with the 1st brew ferment for 2 day and the other still fermenting(Plan to leave it for 2 weeks)
The 1st brew taste is quite sour and alcohol level seem pretty mild.
What I like to improve is to enhance a bit of sweetness and more alcohol level.
What I use is a 2 litre bottle of juice, sugar(roughly 3/4 cup) and a packet of instant dry yeast(11 grams).
I am living in Singapore which is a tropical country and I just left the brew in mine store room.
Any help will be happily appreciate and thanks for the help if any in advance

Some helpful tips. 

- heat juice to 160F for 10 minutes, then cool to 65-70f.
- use msall amount of chloine bleach or iodine based sanitizer
- Clean and sanitize everything that comes into contact with the juice solution. Spoons, bottles, anything.
- You can use a tiny amount, a couple drops, of bleach to clean bottles.  let them soak a couple hours. rinse with clean water and cover bottles.  clean and sanitize caps too. 
- or steam sanitize bottles
- Make sure your hands are clean too.
-  keep open air access to juice, bottles, yeast, etc  to an absolute minimum

These are some basic things for beer brewing too

jomebrew said:
Some helpful tips. 

- heat juice to 160F for 10 minutes, then cool to 65-70f.
- use msall amount of chloine bleach or iodine based sanitizer
- Clean and sanitize everything that comes into contact with the juice solution. Spoons, bottles, anything.
- You can use a tiny amount, a couple drops, of bleach to clean bottles.  let them soak a couple hours. rinse with clean water and cover bottles.  clean and sanitize caps too. 
- or steam sanitize bottles
- Make sure your hands are clean too.
-  keep open air access to juice, bottles, yeast, etc  to an absolute minimum

These are some basic things for beer brewing too

Hi jome, to increase alcohol level can be done by adding more sugar rite ???

Yeah, more sugar will mean more alcohol but maybe not something drinkable.  You are going to have little flavor already and with will be thin and sharp already.  This is not something I have done so I am not an expert but when making a apple or pear cider, I found it to be drinkable but not enjoyable.  Though that is not what it sounds liek you are shooting for. 

The fermentation temperature is important. especially hwen using plain sugar.  Yeast create unpleasant forms of alcohol at higher concentrations when fermentation temp is in the mid 70's and above.  They are rapidly consuming the sugar and spewing out many unpleasant byproducts and the warmer it is, the happier and more disgusting these yeast become.

So, add keeping everything as cool as possible to the list.  Also, be ready for a nasty hangover.

jomebrew said:
So, add keeping everything as cool as possible to the list.  Also, be ready for a nasty hangover.

Yep....I made a Belgian Extract Brew one time that had a TON of candi sugar in it and it topped the charts with ABV, and with nasty headaches.....

jomebrew said:
Yeah, more sugar will mean more alcohol but maybe not something drinkable.  You are going to have little flavor already and with will be thin and sharp already.  This is not something I have done so I am not an expert but when making a apple or pear cider, I found it to be drinkable but not enjoyable.  Though that is not what it sounds liek you are shooting for. 

The fermentation temperature is important. especially hwen using plain sugar.  Yeast create unpleasant forms of alcohol at higher concentrations when fermentation temp is in the mid 70's and above.  They are rapidly consuming the sugar and spewing out many unpleasant byproducts and the warmer it is, the happier and more disgusting these yeast become.

Erm can I place the cidar in the fridge to let it ferment ???

This really depends on what type of yeast you are using.  Some yeasts tolerate cold better than others.  Normally you can look at what type you are using and check to see what the optimum fermentation temp should be.

Mtnmangh said:
This really depends on what type of yeast you are using.  Some yeasts tolerate cold better than others.  Normally you can look at what type you are using and check to see what the optimum fermentation temp should be.

Hi Mtnmangh, how many type of yeast are there in the market???
As for the yeast I am using state as Instant Dry Yeast.
The ingredient are nature yeast and rehydrating agent.

There are hundreds of different types of yeast, but they may not be available where you are.  Assuming you're using an ale yeast, they are usually active from 62-78 degrees F, but again higher fermentation temps can lead to problems, like is already mentioned above. SO, placing an ale yeast in a fridge is not recommended.

Back