• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Type Selection in Recipe Tab

Waldner

Brewer
Reaction score
Suggestion: Create the ability to select the yeast type such as Ale, Lager, Hybrid in the recipe tab as you have done for the yeast starter tool. This way the recipe tab can calculate the pitching rate based on the type of yeast selected rather than defaulting to a value you can't selectively control.

Thanks!

Is this different than double clicking the yeast in the design or starter view to choose type, form and flocculation? These choices get reflected in the starter tab.

Yes, I believe so. In the "Yeast Starter" calculator separate from the one embedded in the recipe tool you can choose "Ale," "Hybrid," and "Lager" for your yeast type. Underlying that, you can change the settings on these three and enter different pitching rates for those, i.e. 0.75, 1.00 or 1.5 respectively.

However, on the yeast starter tab for the recipe itself, you cannot change the yeast to "Hybrid." Only "Ale," "Lager," or "Wheat" for beer. So for instance, I'm brewing a Kolsch or a Cal Common, a hybrid beer but my calculations have to either be based on an Ale or Lager making them incorrect or at least not what I would want.

I also assume the recipe yeast calculator is using the values you set forth in the yeast starter tool but am not positive. If the "Wheat" selection is the "Hybrid" then maybe this needs to be changed or the yeast starter tool needs to be changed to reflect "Wheat." Please let me know if I'm missing something here and not seeing it correctly?

Back