• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Possible fermentation problem

Catch-22

Brewer
Reaction score
So...I brewed on Saturday morning, with the final cooled wort going into the fermenter, along with the yeast, at approx. 12:30pm.  The fermenter was shaken for a while, as I don't have anything else set up yet to aid in oxygenation.

It's been over 48 hours, and I'm not sure that I'm able to tell if fermentation has started.  I'm using a Speidel, so it's not crystal clear.  It looks like there might be some foam on the top of the beer, but I can't be sure.  Should I always see gas escaping from the airlock during the process?

This is my first brew, so I'm not sure what to do.  I know I need to be patient, and I'm not in a hurry, but is there something I should do at this point other than wait?

How soon is "too soon" to recheck the gravity?  I know that's really the only way to tell where the fermentation is.

It's probably fine.  48 hours to really get going strong is not unusual.  If you're seeing some foam, it is probably getting there. 

Yeast strain, size of starter, oxygen content each play a part in start-up speed. 

If I don't see air coming through the airlock at some point, am I ok to remove the lid quickly to get a good look at the top of the wort/beer?

Use your sense of smell. If it smells yeasty, minty or you get the prickle of CO2, it's fermenting.

Maybe not the whole lid, but removing the airlock and using a flash light should let you see if there is foam on the beer.

brewfun said:
Use your sense of smell. If it smells yeasty, minty or you get the prickle of CO2, it's fermenting.

Maybe not the whole lid, but removing the airlock and using a flash light should let you see if there is foam on the beer.

Inspected the top.  There is certainly a thick foam on the top.  Certainly had a "beer" aroma as well.  Perhaps it fermented very early in the process, over night, when I couldn't notice the airlock moving gasses?

The foam on top indicates fermentation in progress. I believe the bucket lid is leaking the gas out. No worries. It's still creating positive pressure and nothing falls up.

brewfun said:
The foam on top indicates fermentation in progress. I believe the bucket lid is leaking the gas out. No worries. It's still creating positive pressure and nothing falls up.

Thank you for planting that seed.  I readjusted the lid on the Speidel, tightened everything back up, and voila!  Started to see bubbles in the airlock.

Thank you!

Back