• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aerification Wand - No Fermentation Activity

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I just made a 10-gallon IPA and used an aerification wand for the first time. I was hopeful this would be the perfect solution for inducing oxygen into a batch size that's too big to manually shake. I was shocked not to see any signs of fermentation this morning and hope this might just be a typical delayed WL 01 California Ale issue. Nevertheless, that this would happen with my inaugural use of the wand makes me wonder. I did a "burst" of 35 seconds. The manufacturer recommends a 20-second burst for five gallon batches. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Forgot to mention that I used a starter I made six hours prior to the pitch.

Probably fine.  Yeast consumes the O2 first and buds before turning to creation of CO2 and ethanol.  And they have 10 gallons to assimilate v. five. 

Using a bucket?  Some leak and not all the gas exits the airlock. 

It sounds more like a yeast problem than an O2 problem, I go 45 seconds/Carboy on a 10 gallon batch. Six hours on a starter is kind of short. Not enough time for yeast growth for me. With a stir plate, I go 18-30hrs, yeast variety dependent. Even it you oxygenated the starter which I would recommend if you don't have a stir plate it still sounds like an express lane to me. You use a starter to increase your pitched cell count.

Agreeing with Maltlicker, you are probably fine!

To Malt's point; the first time I used my O2 system I also experienced a bit more of a lag than I'd seen before using O2 (with WLP001), and I chalked it up to extended budding which I'll take - happy yeast makes for tastey beer.

My flow rate? I do 5-Gallon batches and control the flow using a medical regulator set to 1 liter per minute, and I let it rip for a full minute based on a 1.060 OG.

Miken, you referred to "aeration". Are you using an air pump or O2 cylinder? If you're pumping air it will take way more than 45 seconds to maximize disolved O2.

I agree it sounds like the lag is probably due to your yeast pitching rate. Check yeastcalc.com.

I'm using a Blichman fermenter, so it's not as easy to see the activity compared to a carboy. I think you guys all hit the nail on the head. This is also my first time not giving the starter at least 24 hours. AND the batch is beginning to ferment! I used a tank of O2 I bought at Home Depot. Interesting to note that I first tried Airgas (welding supply store) for the O2 and the guy told me their oxygen was not food grade ... includes acetylene. Yikes!

Back