• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steep/whirlpool should add bitterness to every addition

AnthonyB said:
Before the measurements, I assumed that the 5 minute addition was roughly equivalent to a 15 minute addition and the flame out addition was equivalent to a 10 minute addition.  I think that the reality is closer to the 5 minute addition being a 20 or 25 minute and the flame out being a 15-20 minute addition based on my measurements.

This is a great bit of data. The use of actual measurements over assumptions is the only way to create accuracy.

Do you find that the numbers track similarly when the estimates and measurements are over 60 IBU?

brewfun said:
AnthonyB said:
Before the measurements, I assumed that the 5 minute addition was roughly equivalent to a 15 minute addition and the flame out addition was equivalent to a 10 minute addition.  I think that the reality is closer to the 5 minute addition being a 20 or 25 minute and the flame out being a 15-20 minute addition based on my measurements.

This is a great bit of data. The use of actual measurements over assumptions is the only way to create accuracy.

Do you find that the numbers track similarly when the estimates and measurements are over 60 IBU?

I'll try to get some more data and post it when possible, but my feeling is that you really need to boost the amount of Alpha when you try to get over 60 IBU.

AnthonyB said:
I'll try to get some more data and post it when possible, but my feeling is that you really need to boost the amount of Alpha when you try to get over 60 IBU.

That matches what most breweries report. It's also in line with some recent ASBC papers, though they're focused on high gravity brewing for mass lagers (20+ Plato). 

Beezer94 said:
It seems the easiest solution would just be to add a hot steep timer next to where the boil time is.  If I have a 60 minute boil and then I put in 30 minute hot steep, have it just add 15 minutes to all hop addition bitterness calculations.  So a 60 minute addition will be calculated for 75 minutes, a 15 minute addition for 30, and a 0(flameout) for 15 mins.

The formula you already use for hop additions shows how a 60 minute moved to 75 adds a tiny increase in IBU's so I think this doesn't need to be that complicated.  Unless we send out our personal hops for AA testing and have our beers sent to labs for IBU testing, it's always going to be an approximate expected value.

This is how I've manually adjusted for my hop additions for quite a while.
I had thought of this myself. A boil\ steep\ knockout timer would be pretty handy, just due to some people chilling in 5 min some may take 2 hours.

Back