• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

strike water temp

jim81147

Apprentice
Reaction score
No matter what i change my mash tun thermal mass to my strike water temp stays at 170 . It is at 170 on all my recipes that I have marked as batch sparge light body. Should that temp always be 170 ? that doesnt seem correct.

Two possible causes:
  - Did you make sure you have the "Adjust temp for Equipment" box checked on the Mash Profile section within the recipe itself?  If not, then it will not adjust the temperature for your equipment.
  - If you are referring to the "Sparge temperature" instead of the strike temperature, you can set the sparge temperature for the profile by editing the details of that mash profile.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad , I do have the adjust temp box checked. I have tried to go in and edit mash profiles and think that may be where the problem lies . I can add or delete a step but can not change the mash-in temps  other than by selecting a different profile.This is where I would have thought changing the thermal mass of the tun would come into play. When the mash profile screen comes up , I can not see the bottom(its bigger than my screen) and this makes me wonder if there is an edit button down below that I can not access?

Jim,
  Some other thoughts...
  - Make sure you have the latest version (1.3 build 22 if you go to the About command on the Help menu)
  - To change the thermal mass, you need to edit the Details of the Equipment within the recipe - since the recipe carries a complete copy of your equipment profile in it.
  - To change a step within a mash profile, just bring up the profile editor and double click on the step you want to change.

Brad

Thanks brad , that helped . Now my one final problem seems to be that I can not see the entire Mash Profile box when it comes up on screen. A specific question is when I change the pH value in the mash profiles , then close the window , then reopen it , the pH value is back to where it was originally . I am thinking that there is an accept or OK button or something similiar at the bottom of that box , but I cant see it . The box is already up to the top of the screen so I cant drag it . Is there a way to make those pop up boxes smaller? Thanks for all your help.

Jim,
  An obvious fix is to increase your screen resolution a bit - you can do this by right clicking on your desktop and selecting properties.  Then go to the the Settings tab and increase your screen resolution by one step.  This should give you access to the whole dialog.

I will look at changing the dialog to make it a little shorter on the next version.

Brad

Back