• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Leaving wort over night

davidrgreen

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be OK for me to do my mash tonight and make my wort, keep in a sealed sterilized bucket then boil it and add the hops etc tomorrow or do I have to do it all at the same time?

It will probably go sour on you.  There will be bacteria in it and they will have the perfect environment to thrive in.

OK good to know.. I think I'll leave it until tomorrow and just do it all in one day.. thanks.

:-[

I have just done this today. Shall I store it as cold as possible?
Wil it go sour over 8hours? planing to brew first thing in the morning.

Once mash temps get down below 140 I think you'll risk infection. I don't think chilling it is the way to go so I'd try and keep it warm covered and sealed up.

I tried overnight mash once. In the morning I had a sour foaming mess. Then again I didn't have the best insulated setup.
Remember that at this point nothing has been boiled. All the hitchhikers are alive and well and looking for something to eat.

Once mash temps get down below 140 I think you'll risk infection

In food service the general rule is that anything kept in the danger zone (40 - 140) should be pitched after four hours. Overnight is more than four hours.
If you think your setup is insulated enough to keep it above 140 it might be worth a try, but I personally wouldn't try it again.

I've tried it with no problems. If you run it off hot and seal it well it'll sanitize (not sterilize) your bucket and will be fine. I've used both a standard bucket and a keg. The keg is probably safer since it seals better; be sure to pressurize the keg so it won't suck in air as it cools.

Lots of BIAB brewers use this and refer to it as "No Chill".

When I came up this morning everything was okay with both batches ;)

Before i went to bed yesterday I google about lactobacillus. To my luck I did a mashout at 76 C for 10 minutes before run off and sparging, so it was over 75C for over one hour. This will be the same as pasteurization. This does not kill everything but already at 65C, 95% of all lactobacillus dies off. there are a few strains that can handle temperatures up to 70C for a short time. So to my happiness I was over 75C for over one hour. The Worth was crystal clear this morning and tasted the same as yesterday, now it is boiled and in the in the fermenter.

Conclusion - If you do it the evening before boil day, be sure to do a propper mash out at 75C and also have your sparge water at this temp, then you will be fine. Also sanitize the bucket you run the wort in to.

Back