• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

After upgrade preview and print don't work

npayton

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just upgraded to latest version of Beersmith 2.2.08 on Mac running OS X 10.9.

Now when selecting recipes in the main window, it does not show up in the preview window, just blank screen.

When I go to print using the print button, the to be printed page shows blank in the mac window where you select print options.

Similar behaviour when selecting Brew Steps button.

Am I missing some Beersmith configuration issue.  This feature was working before the upgrade.

No issues printing from other Mac applications.

Thanks for any help,

Nick

Nick,
  That is very odd - the new version does use the Safari engine to render these windows, but it is a direct Webkit interface that should work across all platforms.

Here is a link to the old versions as a temporary measure.  I'll try running on 10.9 to see if there are any specific issues there.
  https://s3.amazonaws.com/BeerSmith2-1/BeerSmith2_1_02_64.dmg
  https://s3.amazonaws.com/BeerSmith2-1/BeerSmith2_1_02_32.dmg

Brad

I've gone back to v2.1.02 (64 bit on mac) using your link in the previous post.

The preview, print preview and brew step features work as expected with the old version.

If I see a resolution or new version I will try the new upgrade when it comes out.

The preview is a useful feature as I print the brew step on brew day and am not near the computer when brewing. Plus the preview allows me to quickly see differences in my recipes.

Thanks for the quick response,

Nick

Nick,
  I actually loaded a pristine version of Mac OSX Mavericks on my machine (in a new partition) and then also loaded BeerSmith 2.2.08 on it and it is running perfectly including the preview windows.

I'm at a bit of a loss.  I assume Safari also runs cleanly on your computer by itself (as BeerSmith uses safari as a plugin essentially) and has no issues?  A plugin for Safari could be causing conflicts possibly with BeerSmith.

I'm assuming you upgraded BeerSmith from a previous version.

Brad

I'm running 2.2.10 and disabled all Safari extensions and the problem's still there.  Looks like I'm going back to the last working version for now.

Can you please post the version of Mac (or other OS) you are running if you have this problem?  So far most report running into this on OSX Mavericks (10.9)  but I want to make sure I'm not missing a conflict or issue that might be cross platform.

Brad

If I try the print preview from the file menu, it does not work. Right clicking on the report and selecting Print Preview does. Not something I use all the time but just thought I would throw this in if it helps.

BeerSmith said:
Can you please post the version of Mac (or other OS) you are running if you have this problem?  So far most report running into this on OSX Mavericks (10.9)  but I want to make sure I'm not missing a conflict or issue that might be cross platform.

Brad

10.9 here

All,
  I may have made a breakthrough on this.  Take a look at the full path to your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory (or other directory if you have used "Change Documents Directory" to move BeerSmith somewhere else in the past - which is very likely the case).

The issue is that if the path to the BeerSmith data directory (not program directory) has a space or other special character in it, the preview window won't work (due to a URL encoding issue).

For example if I take a vanilla install to Documents/BeerSmith2 and move my Documents Directory to "Documents/BeerSmith Test" instead using Change Documents Directory command, now the preview panes will now show blank since it can't resolve the path with the space in it properly (at least on the Mac)

I have a fix in the works for this (will likely be build 2.2.12) but in the meantime you can try using "Change Documents Directory" to point your data directory to an existing directory that has no spaces or other special characters in the path.

Brad

Posted new builds - can someone give these a try as it should correct the print preview issues - at least on the Mac.

I would appreciate feedback as soon as you can as I'm trying to get this posted live for other users to head off potential issues:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/BeerSmith2-2/BeerSmith2_2_12_32.dmg  (32 bit Mac)
https://s3.amazonaws.com/BeerSmith2-2/BeerSmith2_2_12_64.dmg (64 bit Mac)
https://s3.amazonaws.com/BeerSmith2-2/BeerSmith2_2_12.exe (Windows)

Cheers,
Brad

The problem still exists for me. I downloaded and have installed v2.2.12 from the website. I am on version 10.9 of OSX. The path to my Beer Smith install is Document/BeerSmith2. If I select a recipe so that I can view the preview in the bottom pane, it prints fine. If I open the recipe and try to print the page is blank. I originally updated when prompted to the new version and had the the problem. I then downloaded the install from the website and installed overtop of the installation, but that didn't resolve the issue.

This is just a hunch, but your "default" report format might be messed up.  Try opening the My Recipes view, select
the "Recipe" report type at the top of the preview pane, then click on the little flag next to the word "Report" to set this to be the default for printing.

Now try printing from an open recipe.  The little flag sets the "default" format for printing, and if somehow your setting got messed up along the way it could cause this issue.
bigwheat said:
If I select a recipe so that I can view the preview in the bottom pane, it prints fine. If I open the recipe and try to print the page is blank.

No dice. Problem still occurred. In fact, the whole application seems to be unstable. After trying to print, and seeing the blank page, I hit cancel and then closed the open recipe. The program locked up and was unresponsive. I would think there would be widespread reports of this if this release were that buggy - but I haven't seen them. This is the second download and installation of this version, so I don't think the installation itself is bad. I'm at a loss... Last version was very stable. Thinking I'm just going to go back to the old version and wait on the next release before trying to upgrade again.

Just installed 2.1.02 and everything works fine now. App is much faster opening, and clicking around inside of it. I can print with no problems.

In case it helps, in addition to the info about my system from my earlier post:
2009 or 2010 version of the MacBook Pro
2.4 i5 CPU
8GB RAM
256GB SSD HD - I added this after the fact, and took the original hard drive and put it in the slot that formerly had the dvd drive.

If you'd like any other system info, please let me know. Thanks

I agree, this version seems unstable. I am not able to print either and the program freezes every once in a while. Sucks not being able to print.

BS 2.2.12
OS X 10.8.5

Print preview works but printing to PDF or printing to my printer does not work. Paper is totally blank. Pretty annoyed since I needed to print and now I'm writing everything down. :(

I had reverted back to the old version, because of these issues, and tonight I decided to try and reinstall to see if the problem still occurred. I have upgraded my OS to Mavericks since the last time I tried so I thought maybe the issue would be resolved.

Unfortunately, it is not. I still cannot print. It is a blank page only. If I do a print preview, sometimes that will work and I can print that successfully - but more often than success, it completely freezes the Beersmith software.

Is there any solution to this problem yet? I use the printed copy on brewdays, so it is a very important feature for me.

New user here running Mac OS X 10.9.2. Purchased and downloaded v2.2.12. During the boil, the timer stopped working. If I minimize the BeerSmith app I can see the timer start working as it quickly gets smaller during it's trip to the Dock. When I maximize it again the timer is still stuck at the new time that it updated to when I first saw it work again during the minimizing--yes, that's worded kind of odd and confusing.
The app also isn't responding to switching back to the various steps like Mash, Fermentation, etc. It will react after minimizing and maximizing again just like the boil timer was acting. I resorted to my iPhone timer during the boil given I needed something to keep track of the time.
I'm going to quit and relaunch the app, but I suspect this behavior will reappear. Doesn't give me the upmost confidence when brewing. Suggestions?
Best,
Brent

Back