• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Hops to Steeping Grains in recipe

mb@bs

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am entering a Pliny recipe based on the MoreBeer extract kit.  It calls for adding hops during the steeping of the specialty grains and before the boil.  I am able to get this to show up in the recipe by specifying Mash and 30 minutes or First Wort and 30 minutes steep time but in the brew day report or the timers, the step drops out.  I am guessing this isn't common (adding hops during the initial steeping of the specialty grains in extract kits) so I could easily see it not being accounted for but was just wondering if I am overlooking something obvious.  Yes, I can easily work around it but was wondering if there is a "right way" to enter this in a recipe so that it shows up everywhere.

In the recipe design tab, change the recipe type from extract to partial mash. 

This might get remedied in a future update, but for now, the mash hops are a mash only ingredient.

Don't expect mash ingredients to be listed in the timer just because that list can be considerably longer than extract steeping. I think it would make the timer harder to read.

brewfun said:
In the recipe design tab, change the recipe type from extract to partial mash. 

This might get remedied in a future update, but for now, the mash hops are a mash only ingredient.

Don't expect mash ingredients to be listed in the timer just because that list can be considerably longer than extract steeping. I think it would make the timer harder to read.

That works great for my purposes.  Thanks for the quick reply!

Back