• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith 2.2 - Reports

tom_hampton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Brad-

You state that there is no CSS and HTML5 support in BS2.2.  I'm trying to understand a little better exactly what that means. 

I can see that there are new reports for "newbrewsheet.htm" and "newrecipe.htm".  These clearly include style.css as a style sheet.  I've looked through the style sheet and see all the various styles defined. 

Recall that a year or two ago, you sent me your report generation source file, and I extracted all the  tags.  I created a custom report with all those tags in it, and a dummy recipe with values defined for EVERY tag. 

So, I figured this report would be a good way to find out what CSS styles (classes, or IDs) that you had attached to each XML tag.  What I've found is that the only XML tags that have CSS classes defined are the tables (ingredients, etc).  Here is the general form of a table tag:

Code:
<table class="BeerSmithTable" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

This doesn't provide much granularity for styling the tags.  Since HTML and CSS allow multiple classes to be defined, it would seem like a better approach would be to define, at least, two classes.  EG ($BOIL_INGREDIENTS):

BeerSmithTable IngredientsTable BoilIngredientsTable

Also, it would potentially be useful to have every table tagged with an ID, maybe BoilIngredientsTable1, etc.  Next, every other <tr> would be good to have a class="alt".  That would allow people to style alternating rows differently.

It seems like there could be more styles defined for the less complex, single valued items.  Perhaps, "item value" for the value and "item unit" for the unit.  This would allow the entire item to be styled with the .item class, or values and units could styled separately, if desired.

Text elements should get their own classes assigned, following a similar class heirarchy scheme as above to allow styling to be applied with varying levels of granularity. 

I can't tell at all, how BS2.2 has anything to do with HTML5.  Please explain.

Finally, it's not directly related, but there is still no way to specify the output columns for a particular table.  Yes, it can be done in JS, but...its a bit of trouble that could easily be avoided with a little syntax extension (eg: $BOIL_INGREDIENTS(Amount,Description,,,IBU)).  This syntax could be used to define the table header text as shown above. 

Back