• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2.2 keeps trying to download update after it was installed

brewsncrabs

Apprentice
Reaction score
Installed 2.2 a couple days ago. After the second or third time accessing program, I got a box stating that "a new version is available.  Do you want to download in the background?"  I enter "ok" and a few seconds later a box pops up stating that Beersmith needs to shut down to install the update.  Afterwards, whenever I open the program a box appears stating that Beersmith is running and I can only run one copy at a time.  Hitting Crtl, Alt, Del shows that it is not running.  The only way to open again is to reboot.  I run Avast and Malwarebytes if that helps. 

release 2.2.10 is now the current version.  I just go direct to the Beersmith site and d/l there

Thank you.  I will try that.  Lighting the strike water now!  Nice chilly morning to brew!

That didnt work.  I get the same message that Beersmith is running.  Task manager says it is not.

Been having the same issue daily since installing 2.2.

I had the same problem only if I try to download and install in the background. Have not try  installing in the background on the last couple updates. As KernelCrush suggested go straight to BeerSmith's website close the BeerSmith program and download install.

I have rebooted several times and it continues.  I  have also installed from the webpage as KernelCrush suggested.  Still continues.

Hi,
  I apologize for all of the problems.

- You need to go to the task manager and shut down BeerSmith2.exe (assuming it is running).  Go to Processes as it may not show up in the Applications tab.
  - Then install the new version 2.2.10 by downloading it from the main BeerSmith download page and running the installer
  - Then start BeerSmith again and you should be back in business

There was a bug where the startup screen was not being closed properly and the program would hang.  Unfortunately this also hung the automatic update feature since it ran on shutdown (which never occurred).  It did not affect all users, but has affected some. It is fixed in 2.2.10.

Brad

Seems to have worked.  Thanks Brad!  You always work hard to make sure things work correctly.  I admire that.  Thanks again.

That doesn't work for me. I am still getting the message.

I had the same problem as Gymrat - no BeerSmith2.exe in my running processes.

So I deleted the Beersmith2.exe file and then installed 2.2.10 and it worked

Can you drop me an email on the "contact-us" page - closing out the program via task manager (or rebooting) and downloading and installing the latest version should work.  If it is not working please drop me a note and I'll work through it with you.

Gymrat said:
That doesn't work for me. I am still getting the message.

Im having this issue too. I went to download it from the website as recommended and when I click "install" I get a message saying "Error opening the file for writing"

Same issue for me, every time I open it it wants to update.
I did the initial update directly from download. The first time I opened it told me there was an update. I checked to see that the download install worked, or at least reported the right version. Next time I opened it, same thing, so I told it to update anyway. Ran through the update and still same version, and still reporting the update every time.

Found the sticky post, running 2.2.09, installed 2.2.12 and it looks like it fixed the issue.

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I apologize for all of the problems.

- You need to go to the task manager and shut down BeerSmith2.exe (assuming it is running).  Go to Processes as it may not show up in the Applications tab.
  - Then install the new version 2.2.10 by downloading it from the main BeerSmith download page and running the installer
  - Then start BeerSmith again and you should be back in business

There was a bug where the startup screen was not being closed properly and the program would hang.  Unfortunately this also hung the automatic update feature since it ran on shutdown (which never occurred).  It did not affect all users, but has affected some. It is fixed in 2.2.10.

Brad

THIS WORKED Perfect and it got rid of the problem

I'm having the same problem as the first poster this thread.
I downloaded the 2.2.10 update directly down from the BS2 website and installed it.
"Each time" I now enter BS2 it gives a popup saying update is available do I want to download it to the background.
After a period of time I get a popup saying "no connection to server"..

I tried exiting BS2, made sure it was not running in task manager, then reinstalled it, rebooted, and getting same popups
with end result "no connection to server"...

Current version is 2.2.12 - so it might still be looking for an update.  Download from the main BeerSmith download site at http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith

Thanks,  looks like that took care of it.....
BTW,,, like Beersmith more each day I use it....  Hitting pretty close to targets now.

Back