• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Taking a sample from fermenter

Catch-22

Brewer
Reaction score
I would like to get a gravity reading of a batch I have in a Speidel fermenter, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be.  Should I use the spigot at the bottom or use the sample retriever from the top by removing the lid?  I know that I'd have to be more concerned with the sample retriever being sterilized, but I'm also not sure if the spigot is too low that I'd get "sediment" with the sample.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Just looking at pictures, it appears the spigots are above the sediment line. I think its better to take it from there, just use a spray bottle with sanitizer before and after.

Getting a little sediment in a sample won't change the reading. Solids displace the liquid but don't add to gravity.

brewfun said:
Just looking at pictures, it appears the spigots are above the sediment line. I think its better to take it from there, just use a spray bottle with sanitizer before and after.

Getting a little sediment in a sample won't change the reading. Solids displace the liquid but don't add to gravity.

Thanks.

Sample taken.  Was very cloudy with sediment.  Blonde Ale, so the ABV won't be super high.

OG was 1.046
Gravity of today's sample was 1.016.  That makes the ABV 3.93%

It's supposed to be approx. 4.5%, according to the kit information.  Looks like I'm on my way!  Will give it more time and see what happens.

catch, what temp did you do your reading at, it really can matter that you are close to the temp your hydrometer is set at. Most are at 68 degrees.
anothr thing is that your first few beers may not go off as much as you want them to. learning curve thing.

Bajaedition said:
catch, what temp did you do your reading at, it really can matter that you are close to the temp your hydrometer is set at. Most are at 68 degrees.
anothr thing is that your first few beers may not go off as much as you want them to. learning curve thing.

The OG was when it was cooled down to the mid 70s before pitching the yeast.  The other readings were at around 65-66, the fermentation temp in my basement.

Ok....so I had some of my Blonde Ale (my first batch) on Christmas Day.  Was not quite what I was expecting.  For a Blonde Ale (extract kit from morebeer.com) it was not very blonde.  In fact, it had much more color to it.  I don't want to say it was cloudy, but it certainly was not clear.  Almost reminded me of a wheat beer, but it clearly wasn't supposed to be.

That beer was brewed on Saturday, Nov. 23rd.  I took a gravity reading on 12/1 and again on 12/2.  No change, so on the 2nd I moved it to a secondary.  It was then transferred to a keg about 1 1/2 weeks before Christmas so it could carbonate. 

Picture of what it looks like in a pitcher and glass attached.  Pitcher and Glass were Christmas Gifts!  Thoughts on the color?

Attachments

• blonde ale.jpg
    blonde ale.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17
Bajaedition said:
Looks dark
did you accidentally carmalize the wort?

I did a full boil on my cooktop, which took a while to reach the initial temp of 170. 

I know the grains were to only be in for 30 mins until the initial temp reaches 170, but it took longer with 6 gallons on my stove.  Probably closer to 50 minutes.

Could that have done it?

I suspect the darker color is due to being from an extract recipe.  Extracts have already been boiled once by the manufacturer, so you're basically boiling a second time when you're reconstituting your extracts.  Extract brewing is very difficult to pull off without some carmelization occurring that darkens the beer a little.

Many extract brewers will do late extract additions.  Basically they'll only put about 1/3rd of their extract in at the beginning of the boil and then they put in the last 2/3rds with about 15 minutes left in the boil.

Don't confuse this with a partial boil late extract addition though.  Brewers who do partial boils because of a smaller boil pot, will do the 1/3rd addition at the beginning of the boil and the 2/3rds addition at the end to get better hop utilization.  A secondary result is less carmelization with late extract additions.  If you want the carmelization on a full boil extract recipe and the slightly darker color that comes with it, you can put all of the extract in up front.  If you want to avoid carmelization (such as in a blonde ale, where the color is more important to you), then late extract addition will help with that.

To add all of the extract up front or add some later in the boil is a way for an extract brewer to get some control of the final product.

I hope this helps you!

Back