• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est. OG question

drb1215

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to all grain brewing and have a quick question on the volume that is used for the Est Original Gravity figure displayed when creating a recipe...

Is the Est OG calculated on the volume into the fermenter, or on the post boil volume?  With my equipment profile there is 0.75 gallon more post boil (due to trub loss and how far I can siphon liquid out of my BK) vs. what goes into the fermenter.

If it is based on what goes into the fermenter, then I need to adjust my numbers to compensate for the extra .75 gallons of liquid in the BK post boil.

Thanks,
Dan

It doesn't matter.  The stuff you are leaving behind has the same concentration of sugars as what goes into your fermentor. 

Why would it not matter?  If I have 5.75 gallons of wort that let's say has a gravity of 1.040 and boil it down to 5.00 gallons...the gravity should be higher because the ratio of sugars to water has changed.  Is this not correct?

Your entire question pertained to "after the boil".  You basically asked what the difference as between the post boil gravity in the kettle and the post boil gravity in the fermentor.  Those two would be the same.

What you leave behind in your brew kettle is exactly the same gravity as what goes into your fermentor.  That trub loss is a post boil kettle loss.  Anything after the boil is the same gravity.

If you were to take a sample of the stuff left in your kettle with a refractometer, and a sample of your wort in your fermentor, they would both be the same.  Yes, the trub seems thicker and has a murky, yucky look.  But the sugars are the same.  That .75 gallons of trub/wort left behind has already been concentrated by your boil.  The trub is post boil, just as the wort in the fermentor is post boil.

Sorry for the confusion...let me see if I can clarify my question.

First off, I agree with what you are saying.  I realize that the everything that is post boil has the same gravity.  However it does make a difference if BeerSmith is looking at post boil volume (what goes in the fermenter and what stays out) vs. only using the 5 gallons that goes into the fermenter for the calculation.

My question is based around what volume does BeerSmith use when calculating Est. OG.  The post boil volume is different then that of the volume that is put into the fermenter.  Since post volume volume is greater than what you can actually place in the fermenter, you would get different gravity for the two volumes.  If I did not allow for trub loss in my BK, then these volumes would be the same (basically I would pour everything that is in my BK into the fermenter).  My question was whether or not BeerSmith took into account the extra volume of liquid in the BK when calculating the Est. OG.  Does that make sense??

Thanks,
Dan

From all the number parameters I have thrown into BS, my interpretation is everything is based on batch size.

Back