• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation Calculator Error

CharlestonBrewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Using BeerSmith to calculate how much Corn Sugar to use in my 5.5 gallon batch the calculations are way off.

With a carbonation level of 2.3 it suggests I use 294.48 oz of Corn Sugar. That number is WAY to high.

CharlestonBrewer, out of my head (I've BeerSmith on my other computer):
- In BeerSmith go to tools and select carbonation tool
- Fill in your actual bottling batch size and select fermenting ingredient (corn sugar in your case)
- Chose the carbonation factor and temp.
- BeerSmith calculates the right amount (you can start the bottling process)

- Go back to your recipe and check the difference in standard batch size (your set up) and actual bottling batch size
- The carbonation tool in the recipe is related to the standard batch size you have chosen upfront and not to the actual bottling batch
  size. If the difference is not zero between these, then you have to compensate for this. You can do that by using the carbonation tool as explained above (1)

R, Slurk

Comparing the carbonation calculator from the tools menu and the calculator in the recipe, the difference is zero but yet the calculation from the recipe page is way off.

The carbonation level from the tools menu however is right on point.

There appears to be something off center in your batch carbonation profile.

In the profile, I can replicate some of the error you're talking about when the "Priming Effectiveness" is around 2.4%. That field should always be 100% if you're using corn sugar. It's the fermentability factor of your priming source. The other factor is temperature. Make sure it approximates your actual conditions.

brewfun said:
There appears to be something off center in your batch carbonation profile.

In the profile, I can replicate some of the error you're talking about when the "Priming Effectiveness" is around 2.4%. That field should always be 100% if you're using corn sugar. It's the fermentability factor of your priming source. The other factor is temperature. Make sure it approximates your actual conditions.

I honestly can not see what I did wrong on this.

I'm inserting an image of the print screen. Maybe you or someone else can point out where the problem lies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 8.42.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 8.42.50 PM.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 558
"Est Bottling Volume" of 375 gallons could be part of it.  ;D

As Maltlicker points out, you have an estimated bottling volume of 375 gallons. That would require a lot of sugar to carbonate!

You could've added this in at least three places.

Most likely, you have added it isn the yeast starter tab. is the "Add starter to bottling volume" box checked? Uncheck it.

In the design tab, look at your fermenter loss field. That should be a positive number. If a negative number is in there, the bottling volume increased. Check your equipment profile to make sure it's not the starting source for the error.

Both of these previous areas can be changed in the Vols tab. You might've thought you were doing some scratch pad numbers, but this tab actually changes the recipe.

Well I found the problem.

On the Yeast Starter tab there is a choice for "Starter Size" in Liters.

I had entered the size of the starter incorrectly as 1400 L vice 1400 ml like it should have been. Doh!

Thanks for the help guys.

Back