• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What recipe type to select if steeping grains

formula155

Apprentice
Reaction score
If I am making an extract recipe with steeped grains, should I select extract for the recipe type, or partial mash? I can't seem to work out how to get a timer for the steeped grains when the recipe type is extract, so that has me wondering wether I need to select partial mash.

steep the grains at 150 for 20 minutes, then drain them, and take them out

Selecting Partial Mash will also activate the Mash Efficiency calculator which, if you're steeping grains for flavor and/or color only, would not be needed. Although this would not hurt anything in your process, it's just not necessary and there is a steep timer available.

Not sure if this also existed in the past versions, but the latest version has a Steep Timer in the Timer tab. With "Extract" selected as the recipe type, click on the Timer tab and the steep temperature and timer functions become available for adjustment at the bottom of the first timer window ("Mash/Steep Timer"). Set your desired temperature and time and the mash timer now becomes your steep timer.

Back