• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

just bought beersmith & trying to add grains to my recipes

srharrison

Apprentice
Reaction score
so I already bought a all grain kit from nb . started to add the grain bill and some of them are not in the list. what do I do? here are a few examples. ashburne mild, English dark crystal,  bairds carastan malt. any help would be appreciated. I have done extract brewing for a year now. so I have everything I need to batch sparge. hopefully next week end. what I am going to brew is a brickwarmer holiday red.

It sounds like your supplier is using some trade names instead of characteristics. Some of these can be found in the add-ons as optional suppliers.

Ashbourne Mild is a Briess product. That goes at about 5.5 lovibond and follows the specs of UK Pale Malts. Just copy and change the color. Light toasted bread flavor.

English Dark Crystal is likely Simpson's (since they go light, medium, dark and extra dark) and it's about 75 lovibond. Somewhat raisny; the jam for the Mild's toast!

Bairds Carastan has two flavors, 15 and 35 lovibond. Both are very similar to Briess Victory malt in spec. Toast and toffee.

Best of luck. Any respectable supplier will gladly give you the specs for malt, hops and yeast. If they don't, you have alternatives.

Back