Author Topic: Pitch yeast?  (Read 6017 times)

Offline h4brewing

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Pitch yeast?
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
Hi,
    Can I just throw the yeast into my cooled wort?  Do I have to "pitch it"....?

KernelCrush

Re: Pitch yeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
Hi,

Everything depends on how you hold the vial when you pitch.  I prefer a straight fastball, but others work tirelessly on their knuckleball.  For heavens sake, DON'T TRY THE SPITBALL!!

j/k

"Pitch" is just the term for adding yeast to your cooled wort.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline h4brewing

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
Yea but do I need to get the yeast going first?  Can I just throw in the dry yeast direct?

Offline drb1215

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
You should rehydrate dry yeast before pitching. For info, John Palmer's How to Brew is a good reference. There is a chapter online here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
I catch a lot of heat on this forum whenever I say it, but I often just follow the directions on the packets of Fermentis brand dry yeast that I use for most of my brews.

"Sprinkle onto wort."

"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
I catch a lot of heat on this forum whenever I say it, but I often just follow the directions on the packets of Fermentis brand dry yeast that I use for most of my brews.

"Sprinkle onto wort."

A LOT?  Am I THAT bad?  :-)

R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »
I was taught to rehydrate dry yeast, so I did.  I never cared if it mattered.  It never occurred to me.   I never even read the package.   I just did what I was told.  I had great fermentations every time.  Then I read that it didn't matter so I researched at yeast web sites.  Turns out it was not required.  So, I stopped and had great fermentations every time.  Then I stopped using dry yeast Or used it to augment times when i didn't make a starter.  I had great fermentations every time. 

So, either way, whatever works for you.  Just pitch the right amount of cells and control your fermentation temperature.  That is my constant nag.  Most of what you do will not matter if you do not control your fermentation temp.   There is a butt load of people who worry about Beersmith calculating 2 IBU off or 3 gravity point difference yet don't give a wad of snot about controlling their fermentation temp.  Give a wad of snot and make better beer!

Offline ihikeut

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
In Chris White's book Yeast The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation. He states that not re hydrating yeast kills half of the yeast cells.   

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
Most of what you do will not matter if you do not control your fermentation temp.

That can't be repeated enough.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

KernelCrush

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »
Ike,  That's what I had always heard and read too, so I never considered not rehydrating. 

Maine, I too k a look at my US05 and the pack says sprinkle like you said. I never read it before.   They have changed the look and text of their website data sheets...they used to have different tech sheets for home, craft, industrial and they only said sprinkle for homebrewers. They all now say rehydrate or sprinkle. I emailed them a couple times way back when for clarification but I guess they don't care for the homebrew market.  Zero response.

Offline Bajaedition

• Just experimenting
  • BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • hello
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
Hi,

Everything depends on how you hold the vial when you pitch.  I prefer a straight fastball, but others work tirelessly on their knuckleball.  For heavens sake, DON'T TRY THE SPITBALL!!

j/k

"Pitch" is just the term for adding yeast to your cooled wort.
gives a whole new meaning to slow pitch
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:35:12 PM by Bajaedition »
Hello

modification