• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sync Settings and Data using cloud folder

frettfreak

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing (only about 5 batches in) and i absolutely love beersmith!  I don't know what i would do without it!  I am not new to IT and Application development however, and have a suggestion.

You have a mechanism in place already to sync recipes to and from the cloud folder.  why not use that as a way (or at least give users an option) to sync ALL your settings and such to mobile or another computer?  That way if you make an equipment profile change for a recipe or you update prices for inventory on your desktop those changes will be propagated to mobile as well?

I watched the video on transferring stuff to mobile, and its fairly easy, but having to go into every ingredient and store in my ingredients on mobile could potentially take a while.  Seems like just making the cloud folder the default folder that profiles, ingredients, and such get saved to then making sure that is also where the program looks for those items would be a super simple solution to accomplish a complete sync of all that data.

Just a thought. Thanks for the awesome program!

Thanks,
  This is my long term goal, but obviously it will take quite a bit of work to sync (and store) everyone's data online.  However it is something I'm working towards.

Brad

Awesome!  Thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity, do you know what type of system you use to store the data? MySQL, SQL server, etc.  No particular reason, i am just a computer geek.  thanks!

The online recipe site is driven by MySQL, PHP and a bit of javascript.

Brad

So i was just thinking about something that may make it easier for you to accomplish this without causing any more stain on your resources and servers! what about utilizing something like dropbox, or google drive or something of the sort to have the recipes stored it?  You could make that the default folder for storing anything, it would unify the my recipes and cloud folders and potentially give you a way to even sync grains and other profiles. I know dropbox has an api available and pretty sure google drive does as well.  I would think that most people already have one of these available to them but if the dont, its free and an awesome tool to have anyway.

Just a thought!  Thanks!  8)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought referencing the original request might be appropriate.  I am using the trial version right now, and plan on moving up to the Gold package.  I was wondering though if the syncing of things like settings, preferences, water profiles and equipment profiles has been implemented yet.  We are looking at multiple licenses between my partner and I, and I really don't want to have to manually recreate everything from water profiles to simple ingredients like vanilla beans on every computer.

Back