Author Topic: Citra Double IPA dry hopping  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Badger

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Citra Double IPA dry hopping
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently brewing the Citra Double IPA:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/17432/citra-double-ipa-clone-kern-river-brewing-company-cybi-podcast-version

I've got a question about the dry hopping, this is the schedule

Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 12 days
Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 12 days
Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 9 days
Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 6 days
Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

After racking into the secondary fermenter, does this mean I add Citra/Amarillo 12 days before bottling, Citra 9 days before bottling, etc?

Thanks

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: Citra Double IPA dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »
The recipe doesn't use a secondary, but yes every three days add a dh addition. If your going to secondary, I'd get that first hop addition in there before transferring.

Offline Badger

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I thought that in the podcast they said that they removed the yeast cake before dry hopping? (I'm going to have to listen to it again)
Seeing as I can't remove it like they do (through the bottom of the fermenter), wouldn't putting it into the secondary be the same?

Just to clarify, is the hop schedule days a countdown to the bottling/kegging?

Thanks

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
Sorry I didn't listen to the podcast, just read the bs recipe and notes. Yes, days to bottle/kegging.

Offline RiverBrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 3+ Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »
Some brewers wait until fermentation is just about done and than primary dry hop. If your using a conical fermenter some brewers dump the yeast prior to primary dry hopping. I use glass 6.5 gallon carboys as fermenters. If the yeast settles densely, firm to the bottom, and doesn't break up or mix with the beer with a slight carboy swirl, I will do all my dry hopping on the yeast. If the yeast layer is soft and flabby, I go with a secondary carboy that has been purged with CO2 @ 62F. for dry hopping and like the results. A gentle swirl of the carboy daily is all that's needed to keep exposing the hops to the beer until you cold crash.
Enjoy good beer daily.....Hell is a dry town!
Retired with an Ultra Limited ride!

modification