• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Citra Double IPA dry hopping

Badger

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently brewing the Citra Double IPA:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/17432/citra-double-ipa-clone-kern-river-brewing-company-cybi-podcast-version

I've got a question about the dry hopping, this is the schedule

Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 12 days
Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 12 days
Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 9 days
Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 6 days
Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

After racking into the secondary fermenter, does this mean I add Citra/Amarillo 12 days before bottling, Citra 9 days before bottling, etc?

Thanks

The recipe doesn't use a secondary, but yes every three days add a dh addition. If your going to secondary, I'd get that first hop addition in there before transferring.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I thought that in the podcast they said that they removed the yeast cake before dry hopping? (I'm going to have to listen to it again)
Seeing as I can't remove it like they do (through the bottom of the fermenter), wouldn't putting it into the secondary be the same?

Just to clarify, is the hop schedule days a countdown to the bottling/kegging?

Thanks

Sorry I didn't listen to the podcast, just read the bs recipe and notes. Yes, days to bottle/kegging.

Some brewers wait until fermentation is just about done and than primary dry hop. If your using a conical fermenter some brewers dump the yeast prior to primary dry hopping. I use glass 6.5 gallon carboys as fermenters. If the yeast settles densely, firm to the bottom, and doesn't break up or mix with the beer with a slight carboy swirl, I will do all my dry hopping on the yeast. If the yeast layer is soft and flabby, I go with a secondary carboy that has been purged with CO2 @ 62F. for dry hopping and like the results. A gentle swirl of the carboy daily is all that's needed to keep exposing the hops to the beer until you cold crash.

Back