• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Racking difficulty!

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm not looking for advice.  I just wanted to share with all of you that it is a PITA to rack banana wine that had Chopped Golden Raisons added to the secondary and then aged for a month on them.  The mush just kept clogging my siphon.

The wine is tasting pretty darned good already though, so it will be worth it in the long run!!

Attachments

• banana wine 002.jpg
    banana wine 002.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 501
Most brewing supply company sell a clip that hooks on  the siphon tube. I don't see it in your picture. I usually clip it on and start siphoning at the top of the carboy and follow the beer or wine down to the top of the trub.

Just bottled a batch of blackberry wine. Didn't have any problems. Then again, I didn't put any raisins in there either.

ihikeut said:
Most brewing supply company sell a clip that hooks on  the siphon tube. I don't see it in your picture. I usually clip it on and start siphoning at the top of the carboy and follow the beer or wine down to the top of the trub.

I thought about putting a clamp on it, but the clamps I have are shop clamps and were nasty and unsanitary.  I opted to stand there and hold it up higher as it worked it's way down.

It went well until I got down into the raison/yeast cake.  I was ok with pulling some of that stuff up and transferring it over to the new carboy.  I'll probably rack it again, once I have an empty carboy.  I've got all four carboys and two plastic bucket fermentors.  All of my carboys are full right now.

How much raisin did you add?  Not trying to say you used too much at all.  I know things take on a life of their own.  I was thinking about adding to a mead sometime and just want to an idea of what my losses might be.

Her is the recipe that I used.  It's for one gallon of banana wine.  I made 5 gallons, so I used 5 lbs of raisons.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/banana-wine-33636/

I've probably lost about 1/2 gallon or a little more of the wine, because of the raisons.  The flavor was worth the loss though.

Check More Beer part # R380 or R390 depending on the size of your siphon tube.

Back