• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bad yeast

rdsxfan76

New Forum Member
Reaction score
How can you tell if you got bad yeast. I brewed the other day and I went to take a look to what was going on and found nothing was going on. I use a S style airlock and normally the sanitizer move too the side with the vent. but this time it moved the other way almost looks like it's being draw in. Should i be worried?

How long has it been?
What type of yeast and how did you prepare it before pitching?
What temperature is your fermentor?

It is not uncommon to draw sanitizer threw the air lock when wort cools. The most common problem of no sings in the air lock is a bad seal on the bucket. This doesn't seem the case with sanitizer being drawn in. I would give it a week a then check gravity readings and see if they have lowered.

Be patience.

+1
Wait a bit, and then check the gravity.  Happens to me all the time.  US-05 will be active overnight so I usually miss that one.  Some yeasts are fast and furrious, others take their time.

I brew 15 gallon batches.

Last week I made a starter using harvested yeast.  I then let that starter sit for two full days in the refrigerator after fermenting out.

I brewed my batch and felt it was too warm to pitch the yeast at 6PM.  So I let the conical sit in a 45F garage until the next day.  I pitched the yeast.

Then, the next morning I opened up the conical and found no activity to be seen.  I closed it up and went shopping for the day.  Came back and found it chugging along.

My point?  Sometimes we home brewers get to excited about stuff.  It turns into beer.  I will be drinking mine in a month or two.  So will you.  Enjoy.

Back