• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop addition time, bitterness extraction & steep/whirlpool duration

weston

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if I could ask you to consider an addition to the excellent software you have produced. I noticed that my brews were often more bitter than I thought they were going to be. Particularly with late hop additions. I then read around more and discovered that hops at the steep/whirlpool stage will contribute bitterness while the water temp is greater than 80c.

Fair enough you say, list them as step and put in 20 min or whatever.

The problem is that if I want to add the hops at 3 min from the end of the boil, I'll put boil, 3 min. For further recipes this reminds me when I added them. What about the further 20 minutes that they are steeping after?

Maybe actually what is needed is a post flame out time above 80c measure or something to work out bitterness extraction in this situation

I second this request! I was just pondering this exact same idea when I stumbled upon your post. This is definitely needed. It currently estimates that a 10 min whirlpool additional would contribute more IBUs than that same addition added at 5 min.

Whirlpool hop IBU contribution was added in version 2.2.  Calculation is based on a 90C steeping temperature, but that temp is configurable in the options.

Back