• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[Settings] Mash temperature correction regarding volumes

djavet

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi!

I've set my mash equipement with sucess and everything is fine. I always use at the max my 45l. Coleman mashtun. I think to buy (Merry Xmas to myself!) a Thermoport 70l. to increase my brew tools (love Barleywine  ;))

My question is about the profile settings and volumes. If I've this new mash tun an use only 45l, I've 25l empty space. How do you calculate the temperature correction for this amount of space?
Does Beersmith take this in consideration when it calculated the vols in brew steps? Seem not.
How do you deal this issue?

Regards and thx for your inputs,
Dom

New equipment often needs a new profile. The new mashtun will likely have a different specific heat and that will change your temperatures. Plus the additional capacity can change things like batch sparge volumes (if this is your procedure).

You can calculate your new specific heat by following this procedure: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,9324.0.html

Back