• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Total hops in recipe button

shaff1101

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I wish on the design screen they gave the total amount of individual hops needed in a recipe.

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how the software would know what you're trying trying to achieve from a flavor/aroma perspective.  If you're not sure how to design a hop profile for a given beer style, I suggest starting with a known recipe.  You can download a bunch through File>Add-Ons, from the BeerSmith cloud site or a recipe book like Brewing Classic Styles.  I highly recommend BCS.  I'm sure some brewers on this site would be happy to help you out as well. 

I think he means a total that he will need on brew day.  So you four hop additions each 0.25, 0.75 oz, ect.  Now brew day comes and you need to pull your ingredients.  Grains are "totaled" because they are added all at once for each type of grain, but what's the total EKG hops needed vs the Northern Brewer?  since small additions are sprinkled thru the recipe at different amount, he has to add them up manually.  A total line on the brew sheet for each hop might be helpful.

Is that what you're looking for shaff1101?

Beer_Tigger said:
I think he means a total that he will need on brew day.  So you four hop additions each 0.25, 0.75 oz, ect.  Now brew day comes and you need to pull your ingredients.  Grains are "totaled" because they are added all at once for each type of grain, but what's the total EKG hops needed vs the Northern Brewer?  since small additions are sprinkled thru the recipe at different amount, he has to add them up manually.  A total line on the brew sheet for each hop might be helpful.

Is that what you're looking for shaff1101?

You're probably right now that I've read it again.  I wonder if there's a way to add this to a custom report.  That would be useful. 

Two words: Shopping List.

It tallies everything needed for a particular recipe or a group of them.

But he's not shopping today, he is brewing today.  Already have plenty of grain & hops at home.  But how much of each hop do we pull out of the freezer?

Maybe change the Vols tab to a Totals tab instead and have a recipe section there.

One problem with using the shopping list for quick tallies is that it would ruin any running list you had been maintaining.

Another idea would be a column for the ingredient in the recipe design screen for total for the recipe. SO each time it shows Centennial it would have the entire total for the recipe in a custom column.

Still wondering if a report could be customized to include this--maybe add a section on the brewsheet to list the total hops required on brewday (excluding dry-hop amounts).  Pretty practical solution, but I imagine this requires Javascript skills. 

grathan said:
One problem with using the shopping list for quick tallies is that it would ruin any running list you had been maintaining.

The thing about the shopping list is that it's best at immediate need/use.

Any running list is "ruined" by brewing and deducting from inventory (the SL then adds to the "needed" column). It is also "ruined" by changing a recipe after adding it to the cart (the SL is blind to the change).

It really isn't any good to make next week's shopping list, if you're going to brew or modify between now and then.

So, you really have to be planning to purchase and transfer ingredients to inventory before the brewing date. Personally, I wouldn't mind a list of recipes in the shopping list and a button to "remove" them from the SL.

Sounds good.

I'd like a date added and perhaps a note column for reason added (reason could be auto-generated by recipe name or something user custom inputs)

Back