• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil-Off in Equipment Profile

Clem

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, long time extract brewer, first time BeerSmith user  :)

I'm setting up my equipment profile and have it basically complete. I'll probably tweek it a little after I make my first batch using my BeerSmith recipe.

I just did a test for the amount of boil off. I boiled off 1/2 gallon of water during my 45 min. boil.

Should I enter that 1/2 gallon in the equipment profile Boil Off field and uncheck Use Boil Off as an Hourly Rate?

It makes sense to me that I should since I know what I boil off rather than try and calculate an hourly rate.

Thanks,
Clem

I would personally put .67 gallons as your 1 hour boil off rate.  If you do it the way you suggested, then you'll have to change it everytime you do a boil that isn't 45 minutes in length.  However, if you have .67 gallons per hour as your boil off rate, then every recipe will be correct.

Thanks Scott. I made the adjustment. I always do a 45 min boil but I can see now if I do decide to do a 60 min boil that'll keep the rate the same.

Clem

What is the impact of checking or unchecking the box 'use boil off rate as an hourly rate' in a recipe ?

If you check the box for 'use boil off as an hourly rate' the program will change the boil off based upon your boil time in the recipe.  So if you change the boil time from 60 minutes to 90 minutes, it will calculate the boil off as 1.5 times the 'hourly boil off rate'.

If the box is unchecked, the program will take the boil off as a fixed value.  This means that if you change the boil time in the recipe, the program will not alter the volume of the boil off at all.

And remember, boil off is also affected by how vigorous your boil is.

I tend to go heavy on my hourly boil off (1.75) to ensure I'm not short when going into the  fermenter

Good luck and welcome to the good stuff

Rick

Back