• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Trub Loss and Boil SG / Batch volumes

WM7793

Brewer
Reaction score
A Happy New Year to all our fellow brewers over the pond!

As a new user to Beersmith, (2 all grain brews), I have a simple question.

Is the bug that affects trub loss and boil SG, (and the workaround, ie set the trub losses to zero) still in the version 2.2?

There has been some nasty exchanges between posters, on another US based forum, when a smart individual identified a flaw in the maths used by Beersmith.

Until it gets fixed further down the line with a revision, do I still need to set my trub loss to zero, and add this trub loss to the batch size, ie into the fermenter?

Best regards,
WM7793

Hi,
  I'm not sure what you are talking about exactly. There was an issue for extract brews (it was not including trub loss in the OG calculation) which was fixed in 2.2.  The same is not true for all grain as the "brewhouse efficiency" by definition includes all losses in the system before the fermenter (including trub loss) so it is not appropriate to include trub loss separately.

Some confusion arises from people who would prefer to use mash efficiency (instead of brewhouse efficiency) for all grain, and then have the software calculate all of the losses forward from the mash.  This is something I'm looking at adding as an option in the future, but it is pretty complicated because it affects some 40+ calculations and functions in the program.

Brad

Thanks Brad for clearing this up for me.

I suspect that I have not thoroughly understood some of the definitions and some aspects of the software, myself being new to brewing in general. I have now got my head around this and as such, happy with my set up of Beersmith, and looking forward to fine tuning it!

Best regards,
WM7793

Back