• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing Water: Hard or Soft?

doehlecker

Apprentice
Reaction score
Okay, so I received an email from Brad Smith in November which raises an issue for me.  By the way, love the emails from you, Brad ...... keep up the great work.  I am starting a micro-brewery, and went to the local water district people.  If ignorance was money, they would be rich.  I inquired as to the water profile for my location, and this was the essential response I received.  "Well, we get our water from ABOUT 5 wells (Really?  ABOUT??), and it's mixed together, so it varies, and we really don't have a profile for its content."  This is in what is considered to be a moderate-upper class residential area in Washington state.  So they don't perform a water analysis?????  Well put a little cyanide in my next glass folks.  Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get a simple basic analysis of the clear fluid that comes out of my faucet?  Now I'm a bit nervous.  I praise the insight of Brad Smith and others such as John Palmer, but when I can't even get a straight answer from those who pump the fluid to my home as to what is in it, and yet demand payment every 2 months, I wonder ...... water?  vodka?  who knows?

wardlab, and you don't need that "homebrewers" test.  The W-6 test has brewer's key points on it, and you can send a sample in a rinsed water bottle.  you don't need any container from them to submit.  Just a bottle, rinse & drain, fill, and mail in the USPS flat rate box. 

Water depts. only check for what the EPA tells them they must, for the most part. 

Wow, real results without having to sell my wife for the testing????  Well I was hoping, but then again there is eBay.  Not really, they charge an additional fee  for "live shipments".  Just kidding, she's cute and cooks good as well.  I'll try the wardlab.com ...... sure couldn't hurt.  Thanks all!!

Back