• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

simple kegging system

D

daveand5

I had a brain fart and decided to try a different self carbonating container, my god it actually worked!

I took one of those plastic water containers that can be hung up or sat on bench, pressure checked it at 30 psi with no bursting.
At bottling I transfered 4.25 gals with priming into it, and stored it in my basement shower for 14 days, (just in case).
At party time, we hung it up at a comfortable hieght wrapped it with heavy towels, covering it and holding the ice packs we recycled from the local hospital (they all throw them away, medicine is packed with ice). Apparently as it hangs the weight collapses the back, increasing the pressure, keeping carbonation levels up till about 1/8 or less is left.

real nice valve increases joy of filling your glass, with amount of head you want. The first glass or two is a might high pressure, but stabilizes real quick.

at $5 or less each, I now have 2 more for secondary fermentation.

Hi,
That sounds very similar to the English system, I believe they call them poly pins. From memory they are a collapsable bag with a tap used in the wine industry and operate very much like you have just described by enterprising home brewers. Your system sounds even better because you are able to hold much more pressure. Just be careful, they would not be pressure rated, they sound great for a "real ale" though.

Cheers
Andrew

Back