• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation Calculator should show all carbonation options

CptnKickass

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm referring to the stand alone carbonation calculator, under the "Tools" menu.

Personally, I prefer to carb with sucrose rather than dextrose, but the stand alone calculator does not allow me find out how much adjunct I'll need to carb with. I think all the options for carbonating agents should be selectable in the stand alone carb calculator.

This is my #1 annoyance with beersmith - I can't choose cane/table sugar in the carbonation tool, and yet you can in the recipe. 

The problem is that the recipe doesn't take into account the actual bottling volume, just the predicted volume, so if you're off volume by a bit then so is your carbonation.

Greetings,

If I understand your concerns, I might suggest simply using the information available in the Carbonation table.  Select the Carbonation button from within the design view and gather information from the "Effectiveness" column.  For example, Table Sugar is equal to 109.9% of corn sugar.  So, in Design View, click the check mark next to the Carbonation selection button and change the information in the pop-up dialog box.  Make it whatever you want.  The same holds true if you wish to use a DME.  However the calculation is then 65% of corn sugar.

You can even create your own carbonation profile under the Profiles, Carbonation Profiles, then click the Add Carbonation button.  All you would need to know ahead of time is the ingredients fermentability effectiveness as it is compared to corn sugar.  I'm not 100% certain, and perhaps a more experienced BS2 user can add input, but I believe that's how the algorithm is written.

All the information is there.

Back