• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory use and reports

manowarfan1

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I am still finding my way around BS and just may be missing this, or I may be looking to use it in a BassAckwards way but what I am wondering is the following:
Can I select or deselect things which I would like to have showing in my inventory (ie, things I may want to buy in future but do not currently have) and print up a report from this list - to take to LHBS and perhaps run across them and buy them.

Also is there a "show only those things currently in inventory" view and report?

Do you all fill your inventory thru the Recipe >  Shopping Cart method? I have never done it that way, I go to Ingrdients and add them. Am I making more work for myself? Looking at things backwards? Seems to me I would want to pare down my "Inventory" list to those things I would actually use or consider using and then see which ones I have in stock or dont have for shopping and recipe creation purposes.

I am pretty much a newb to BS, been brewing stovetop for a couple of years but really trying to use the science to make better product now so anything I can learn about the software might help me as I start to use the burner and try to build better wquipment.
Cheers
ManOwarFan1

try view-> shopping list

then use the Add Hops or Add Grain button near the top.

Use View-> Inventory

to see what is on hand.

manowarfan1 said:
Can I select or deselect things which I would like to have showing in my inventory (ie, things I may want to buy in future but do not currently have) and print up a report from this list - to take to LHBS and perhaps run across them and buy them.

Not as described. There isn't a "wish list" feature. :D  The shopping list, as Grathan described, is for viewing future purchase items. It is populated through the recipes, by the "Add to Cart" button. It can also be populated manually by the add button in the Shopping List tab.

Also is there a "show only those things currently in inventory" view and report?

If you're asking about recipe design, right at the top of the ingredient list is a check box. Otherwise, the inventory report shows what you have on hand.

Do you all fill your inventory thru the Recipe >  Shopping Cart method? I have never done it that way, I go to ingredients and add them.

Your method is perfect for purchasing specific items and quantities for specific recipes. You sort of hint that you like having an inventory on hand in case you are inspired to just brew.

You can bypass the shopping list by just going to the inventory tab and using the "add X" button. You can use negative numbers to reduce inventory, too.

Am I making more work for myself? Looking at things backwards? Seems to me I would want to pare down my "Inventory" list to those things I would actually use or consider using and then see which ones I have in stock or dont have for shopping and recipe creation purposes.

This is confusing. It sounds like you're talking about paring down your ingredient lists, not inventory. Inventory is what you have on hand. The ingredient list is full of possibilities, but you can show only what you have on hand.

...really trying to use the science to make better product now so anything I can learn about the software might help me as I start to use the burner and try to build better equipment.

There is a LOT to learn about BeerSmith. It is really very comprehensive and has lots of moving parts.

Ultimately, brewing is an art and always has been. The science comes along later to explain why the art works or why assumptions are incorrect.

Back