• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

building a new all grain system

unobigdog

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I building my all grain system and modeling it after the Brutus 10 system.  As far as the mash tun go I'm trying to decide between an igloo cooler or a insulated kettle.  Anyone have any advise for me. 
Thanks

I would go for the kettle. I have a Brutus Ten and i have not seen any big temp swings on my system (a few deg.) also you will need to think about the heat from the other burners if they will melt the cooler.

I have 3 kettles similar to the brutus setup without pid control. . I would recommend the Stainless steel mash tun  to anyone over an insulated cooler.

Dog,
I use a cooler. Was never happy with a stainless mash tun because when I tried to add heat with a burner my mash temps were all over the place. Lots of people prefer mashing in a kettle, so don't take my inability to control my temps as typical. I do recommend you read dennybrew.com before completely ruling out using a cooler.

I use cooler.  I have no problem holding temperatures.  Our homebrew club is about 50/50 split between coolers and kettles.  Either system is viable.  Kettles last basically forever.  Coolers eventually need replaced, as the expansion and contraction eventually causes them to open up at the seams.

Do not limit yourself to a ten gallon brewery.  The cost of planning to a 15 gallon, in the fermentor is minimum.

Back