• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I need to reprime

K

krury

I brewed an Imperial Pale Ale AG OG 1.072 TG 1.015. Being the mad scientist that I am I primed with 8 OZ of Demerara sugar.
After 11 days I have virtually no carbonation. I now realize that I screwed up and should have stuck to the normal corn sugar priming.
More Data:
Primary 7 days
Secondary 7 days
Fermented at 75 Deg F
Bottles at 76-77 Deg F for 11 days.
No head and little CO2 in bottles
Beer in bottle has no haze and no trub in the bottom.

The beer is really excellent other than the fact that I prefer mine carbonated so I have resolved to repriming and recapping. I am enlisting opinions as the best route.

A. Reprime with yeast starter, it is possible the yeast was just petered out.
B. Reprime with corn sugar, My LHBS said that yeast does not like cane sugar for bottle conditioning.
C. Sit on the beer for another couple of weeks and do nothing.

Anyone experience this or have an opinion?

That should not have stopped priming, but. . .

in your intro post you have a 1/2 barrel system which typically makes 10 gallons.  I would have to calculate the correct amount of Demerara but 8oz would definately be low for 10 gallons of beer.

There is enough yeast to prime.  I would drop carbonation drops in each bottle and recap with Oxy-caps if you recap.  I would be more inclined to wait though unless you primed a 10 gal batch with 8 oz.

Fred

Sorry for missing that piece of data. It was a 5 gallon batch.

One other thing. I did happen to be drinking some Fat Bastard Ale ( I am the only one who drinks when brewing right?)when I was brewing and I forgot to add my Irish Moss and Coriander during the boil. I added these as a cooled tea during primary fermentation.

Cheers

I am 70 miles from the LHBS do you think that that a sterile solution of Corn Sugar/Water at a 1:1 volume ratio, 2 teaspoons per 22oz bottle is correct. i.e. 8.0 oz corn sugar 8.0 oz water

at that ratio you won't have near enough liquid to put in all your bottles.

Add 1 tsp dry corn sugar to each bottle and that will give you just over 2 volumes CO2.

Fred

I reprimed this morning, as usual healthy sanitation paranoia kicked in. I cleaned and flamed everything with 91% alcohol.
I am glad I did not rush the process and got everything organized because as the sugar was going in the bottle an immediate reaction took place.

The first bottle actually foamed over before I could get the cap on, I had to resist the temptation to slurp the overflowing bottle. On the remaining bottles as long as I had the cap in the magnetic holder I had time to watch the foam rise(5 seconds) and cap the bottle when no head space was left.

I used a stainless measuring spoon and stainless funnel. I had to pour a little beer out of some of the bottles to make headspace but that was good with breakfast.

Brewing beer never ceases to amaze me. Another Beer Disaster Averted. Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Kevin

Still no CO2 after 10 days in bottles after reprime.
I  cooked up a starter batch of yeast off one of my primary fermenters and used the krausen to restart the bottles (5 ml). After 1 week "Ureeka"! The beer is great now and no oxidation or infection from opening the bottles twice.

Back